Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I went ahead and did a resonator and x pipe on my slk55 and to be honest I was pretty disappointed. I expected it to have a little more of a bite but it kind of sounds weird. Does anyone have an idea on how to make it a little more aggressive(muscly)? I know it’s not a muscle car but it just sounds odd.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,653 Posts
Go and stand behind your car while someone else gives it the wellie.

Vastly different to standard!

If you must you can gut the rear boxes but beware going too far. An option might be some electric gate valves placed before the rear boxes or a diverter valve that routes through a ( custom built ) straight through pipe at the rear boxes.

I suspect you may find that a little too much will rapidly become far too much on a long drive though.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,068 Posts
But you have a r171 and he has a r172 :D

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,076 Posts
Piecha/Fox in Germany makes a couple options for the R172...

Here is the one on my R172 350 made by Fox (sold under the Piecha name)... the sound is music to my ears always... plus I added an aFe Pro Air filter which ups the sound volume a couple octaves....

Specific for the R172 AMG, then you should check out @Col setup posted here with several awesome sound clips

http://www.slkworld.com/3714738-post169.html
@Col can give you all the low down on his setup, or you could read it all up in the dedicated sub-thread on Exhaust options

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 172 AMG as well. All i have done is a muffler delete, as well as i unplugged my flaps to keep them permanently open. It definitely has a more aggressive/ muscular tone

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
7 Posts
It is also possible to deactivate/always open the flaps without unplugging them with Stardiagnosis.
I did it myself, but it drones it c-mode and cylinder deactivation.
The better solution is to install an electronic flap control system.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
234 Posts
Has anyone tried electronic cut outs?
I want to try installing my E-cut outs on my R171 55. Just in front of the last boxes. I have had these valves on 2 previous cars and really liked them. Especially being able to switch from stock to louder and everything in between (e.g. just opening the valves slightly)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts