Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[blatantly copied and pasted from my FB page]

Fantastic time at the Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Performance Class yesterday at COTA! Boy, is my right foot tired! Arms too. Good news, I drove neither of two $150,000+ cars into the wall. Bad news, there is none. Top dawgs were the GT R and GT S, four laps each. See link for the cars we got to drive on the track and in other events. $1895 value, came FREE with my new 2018 AMG SLC 43!

My victory lap video in the GT R in the link. First lap I'm behind the instructor, then you "rotate" and the second guy follows. Rain killed any real speed but still got to 103. Hmph.

*More: A racer friend who has driven there in an S2000 commented I took some turns wide, but we were told to by the instructor leading us. This was due to the rain. She said apexes were slicker than the rest of the track and told us to stay in the center on some turns. I followed her line and speed exactly. Wish I could have at least gotten up to 150, my old personal and illegal best (in 1974).

I can't believe they let anyone off the street without a test or a letter from your mother and doctor. Some looked dead but they said they weren't. All survived best I know.

Yes, they had a stable of SLCs, so I got a turn in one. Next best thing to taking my own car. Bummer the rain slows things down, couldn't let it loose. The SLs didn't seem much if any faster in some acceleration/hard braking drills. Acceleration not as linear as my SLC.

Place was jammed. We all thought it would be about a dozen people. Must have been at least 50. Really a big production overall, nicely done.

I say when in doubt, go for it. You'll remember the experience long after you forget the money if you have to pay for it. Free is always better, though.

https://www.amgacademy.com/gallery/final-lap-videos?event=20181206&name=russ#

More info at https://www.amgacademy.com.

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 - 2 of 2 Posts