Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two wagons; AMG Line e350d and an SLK AMG Sport. I can only assume these are not 'proper' AMG's. They are what they are and I'm very happy with them. No need for extra chrome or badges.

Whilst those seeking to 'badge up' cars need corrective therapy, I have some sympathy with those who genuinely unaware of what an AMG is / might be.

So how do we classify a proper AMG and how to identify one?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
for slks, there are only 3 AMGs

slk32, slk 55 and the 43 though the 43 is not hand built engine

everything else that has an AMG on it, the datacard would have to be consulted for amg wheels/amg body kit as an option if available

search our site for more info

as an example

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=vrjiXLrUDc3L_Qa4vqDwBA&q=site:slkworld.com+what+is+an+amg&oq=site:slkworld.com+what+is+an+amg&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2422.8459..8553...0.0..2.591.4359.21j1j4j3j1j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j0i131j0i10.E_0CZ1Xyyro

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I have two wagons; AMG Line e350d and an SLK AMG Sport. I can only assume these are not 'proper' AMG's. They are what they are and I'm very happy with them. No need for extra chrome or badges.

Whilst those seeking to 'badge up' cars need corrective therapy, I have some sympathy with those who genuinely unaware of what an AMG is / might be.

So how do we classify a proper AMG and how to identify one?
Mercedes has in Germany, in Sindelfingen, an AMG factory, which is available to be visited by the public.
Not just any public, though, just a specific type of public, which owns one or more AMG vehicles.

Quote from https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/experience/amg-factorytour.html

"Our individual tours are offered Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm to owners of current AMG models and members of the AMG Private Lounge. Tours can be arranged via your local Mercedes-AMG dealer."

In the old days, AMG meant having a vehicle engine tuned by the AMG division (same as Brabus).
Nowadays, there are many AMG parts, starting from AMG exterior body kits, to AMG brakes, AMG rims, AMG floor mats, AMG illuminated door sills, etc.

There are also, as you mentioned, people who like to badge up their vehicles, for subjective reasons.

I have recently learned that true AMG vehicles have some distinctive exterior features over vehicles that have only the AMG exterior package, but I personally took over some of those features, and added them to my own vehicle (disclaimer: no AMG badges have been added in the process), making it look more aggressive.

So how do we identify an AMG vehicle?
In my opinion, I like to refer to a vehicle as a true AMG, only (and only) if it has an AMG engine.
There are two options to check this:
- The more obvious one: open the hood, check what's inside
- Check the VIN. The VIN should reflect everything your car has, and what doesn't have (although, adding option codes to the VeDoc seems to be a very easy thing to do nowadays).

VIN codes, however, never change. I can't say about the US VIN, but the EU VIN contains the vehicle model number and type, such as:
(WDD) 172 475
172 is the vehicle model, 475 is the vehicle type, and in this case we are talking about an SLK R172 55 AMG.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
No AMG factory in usa to my knowledge :D

Mercedes-AMG GmbH, commonly known as AMG, is the high-performance brand used by Mercedes-Benz. AMG independently hires engineers and contracts with manufacturers to customize Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles. Mercedes-AMG is headquartered in Affalterbach, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

there is an mercedes factory in usa

Mercedes-Benz U.S. International (MBUSI) is a Mercedes-Benz automobile manufacturing plant near Vance, Alabama. It is located about 34 miles (55 km) west of Birmingham and about 19 miles (31 km) east of downtown Tuscaloosa. The factory was announced in 1993 and produced its first vehicle, an ML320, in February 1997.

Mercedes-Benz is still headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, where the main production facilities are located. However, there are numerous plants in approximately 22 countries, including the U.S., Austria, Canada, Brazil and Mexico.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts