Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very interested in getting one of these for my car

So after a lot of heartache with the Mercedes dealer I do work for I still could not get one so I decided to make one my self
I got a full leather gear knob for a SLK off eBay for £30 new in box.
Then I got a key ring off eBay for £7

The next job was to to strip the new gear knob down so I could dremmel the top of the knob so the part of the key ring would fit, you first fold the leather back to get at the plastic

Next job was to cut the badge off the key ring and glue the badge in to the gear knob

Then all was left was to fit it to the car

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,132 Posts
Most excellent work and pictorial! start taking orders!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,132 Posts
take cost of materials and multiply by 3 (overhead/labor)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Nice - other than the time spent on Ebay - how long did it take you to make this?

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts
Jeff , you beat me by a day , my keyring arrived this morning !!
Had the same idea , but for the non leather gear knob . With your permission , so as not to repeat threads , here are a few pics on how to do this for a non leather type gear knob !

First the original emblem and top piece of the knob need to be removed :

Then using the bench grinder ( and gloves , it get pretty hot ) one side of the keyring has to be grinded down and the edge beveled :

The slots on the upper part of the knob need to be removed and secured with a washer and grinded down screw so the new piece can sit flush :

I used some double sided 3M tape to fix the new emblem . Depending on how much you grind down the rear you can leave the new emblem sitting more raised or more flush depending on taste , here you can see two options :

Finished it looks something like this :

·
Registered 2004 SLK 200K
10,745 Posts
We're either DIY freaks or tight , or perhaps a mixture of the two , jeje !!

I've tried for more than two months to get the insert/emblem , but even the Chinese mayorists are out of stock !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eBay item number 270844891881 if any one is interested
(DIY freaks or tight) just put us down as not to be beaten

We're either DIY freaks or tight , or perhaps a mixture of the two , jeje !!

I've tried for more than two months to get the insert/emblem , but even the Chinese mayorists are out of stock !

·
Registered
68 Posts

Attachments

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
That's really nice - did you need to apply additional adhesive, or just use what was there? Also, thanks for the link.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts