Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update. I spoke to someone who has had his Porsche alloy welded a few years ago. Still good so I am hoping to drop it off Monday and collect Wednesday. This tyre place in Leeds does not actually do the repair themselves. They send out to a alloy engineering company and when they get it back I believe they do the balancing.

I do believe you have to be careful though. The first company I asked said he could weld (as well as re diamond cutting the wheel) but when I quized him further he said some repairs last 6 months some last a few years, depends how you drive. He said he could do in half a day. No way he had the oven to do the heat cycles on the alloy so perhaps this is where some of the bad welding stories come from.

Well gotta try. New matching alloy from the only online supplier I have found online, is almost £800 for 1!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just got the wheel back. £55. Looks good. Playing safe and having it out on the outside.
As long as it's a decent welder doing the work the welded area will be stronger than the rest of the wheel. That can be good and bad when it comes to something that has any amount of flex to it. I don't think your wheel has any amount of give to speak of. My opinion is you'll be just fine. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts