Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMG Academy

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Sandtoes 
#1 ·
spent the weekend at TX Motor Speedway driving expensive AMG iron at stupid speeds-great fun!! Drove SLS AMG,CL 63, SLK 55, E 63,CLS 63-amazing time. Look up AMG Academy on line too see whats offered-I recommend it w/o reservation if you have the time. I want to sign up for another course!!!The instructors were great as well, you never feel truly at risk, though they push you to do some wild things (skidpad!!!).

#2 ·
time to buy an Amg!!

#11 ·
more pix from day at TX Motor Speedway

Attachments

#12 ·
Last week, I got an e-mail from the AMG 'Lounge' that the 2013 AMG Driving Academy schedule is available and taking reservations. Since I took delivery of my 2013 SLK AMG in August, there were no spots left for the 2012 sessions; that prompted me to register early to ensure I get a good 'slot' this year. So last week, I signed up for the November 9, 2013 (Friday) 'Private Lounge Day' at the Laguna Seca track in California. I checked it out on Google Maps and it looks to be a beautiful setting - sure hope so. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else is thinking about or already signed up to attend the Academy this year? If so, when/where is your training scheduled? I recall when I was enduring the 4+ months long 'waiting game' to take delivery of my car, there were 4 or 5 of us in the same boat all waiting for our AMG's - so there have to be at least a few folks on the forum who are eligible to take the 'complementary' training. Hopefully I'll see other members when I'm there. Also, I'd be interested in hearing from those who have already attended the training if you were able to take your spouse with you to the track - I kind of assume so, but am wondering if there is anything for them to do and what they thought of the experience? My sweety is pretty excited for me to attend, but was wondering about what to expect if she goes? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Finally, I've been poking around on the internet and found a site called 'The Drivers Edge' (http://www.thedriversedge.net/) that offers 'High Performance' driver training at different tracks around Texas. It looks like it would be a real hoot to attend - the price looks reasonable, plus you get to use your own car. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this company and if you think this might be a good 'prerequisite' to attending the AMG Academy? In fact, I see one of the tracks they use (Texas World Speedway) is only about 1 hour from my house, so it would be very convenient to attend. Well whaddayaknow, I think I just talked myself into taking this course, too!

Thanks.

#20 ·
Hi all

That sounds like a nightmare SLK55 AMG going down/around the Corkscrew , not one for anyone with a weak heart LOL

Cheers

Andy
I'd say more of a thrill ride, would be fun with the top down - of course everything is more fun with the top down! Being a west coast driver there just aren't many tracks located in area's you'd go on vacation - Laguna is the exception.

#15 ·
mine was at Tx motor speedway-great fun, tho' we stayed on the infield road course, only did 1 "parade lap" on the oval-still the coolest thing ever!! I want to do level 2 and was thinking about Laguna-looks great!!

#16 ·
I dont recall exactly what the deal is w/ spouses (my wife didnt go) but I would think they wouldn't be able to go in the car-if you're on the track, you and your partner wear a helmet-probably not enough to go around...on the auto cross, etc dont recall the policy, but I believe its included in the packet they mail you. You'll have a great time either way-it was an enormous blast throwing 200K$$ SLS's around the track!!

#17 ·
rhartson,
Sounds like it will be a blast - can't wait. After my post yesterday, I got a call from the AMG Academy to finalize my reservation. For a 'spectator' to attend, the fee is $250 (at least for this track), which to me seemed reasonable (we're gonna make this a week-long vacation, anyway). Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll see ya there!

Reactions: rhartson
#21 ·
Very cool! I'm planning to do both Basic and Advanced courses (1 and 2 day back to back) in November during the AMG Private Lounge days at Laguna Seca. Can't wait!

#22 ·
I took part in the Basic course at Laguna Seca, last year on 10/11/12 - awesome day and really awesome experience!!!

I ended up paying for my wife to attend as a spectator. Cool thing - they let her ride along with Tommy Kendall in the #01 SLS AMG for two laps. She really enjoyed her first time experience on a full-on racetrack, and they really took care of her - chauffeuring her around to the different areas to watch while I "played in the big kids playground."

I've done a few other driving experiences, and this has been the best in terms of how well organized and how well you were taken care of. There was no real waiting around, you were moving from event to another, getting in alot of drive time. Only thing - the weather was wet in the afternoon, when lapping the big track!

And, it sure did leave an impression on us - we found a 2005 SLK 350 and took it home this past weekend!
Link to pics from the event, I'm in the red #39 SLS AMG, at the top of the Corkscrew during practice:
http://www.amgacademy.com/gallery/p...=/upload/photoevents/20121011/Laguna_8415.JPG

#23 ·
Awesome, maybe next time your wife will get to participate too?

I would love to do this in the not too distant future. It's pretty expensive, but it would be a blast. Sadly, there is rarely any summer dates when I have more time off.

Enjoy the SLK! The SLK350 always puts a smile on my faith, and I still look forward to driving it.

#24 ·
That sounds like too much fun. And, by the way, my wife would not hear of not participating. I taught her to drive stick 28 years ago. She enjoyed our RX-8, loves her Ninja, and our Challenger 5.7 2 speed. She is in love with speed, as I am. I would not consider going without her. I'll have to look the courses up. Does the course come free with the 2013? Dodge offers a track day with the purchase of an SRT.

#25 ·
^ I believe the Basic course is free to customers who purchase any new AMG model.
Sounds like this would definitely suit your tastes for power, speed and control of both!
I also did the Supercar Life back in 2007 (seems like its no longer around, at least on the web). Similar event but five different marques: Porsche 997TT, Aston Martin DB9, Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari F430, and MBZ CLK63 AMG Black Series. That was a total blast!!!

#28 ·
I'll be going to Laguna Seca this November and my wife and I will be making a vacation out of it. For the wifie to attend is $250, but that's basically just as a 'spectator'. I understand that they sometimes offer spouses a courtesy ride around the track, but that's strictly up to the staff at the event and not included with her fee. Hope you get to attend one!

Reactions: Sandtoes
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.