Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Have fun, enjoy. Dress warm, bring driving gloves (100% leather or lambskin) and post plenty of photos.

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Laguna Seca

RHartson,
I was at Laguna Seca last month where I took the 'basic' course . Stayed in Monterrey at the AMG recommended hotel (the 'Intercontinental - Clement Monterrey', I believe). Had a total blast at the track -the instructors were fantastic, the weather was gorgeous, and the track is absolutely great to drive on. For our course, they had a couple of prizes they handed out based on the results of the motor cross event (using SLK55's, I might add) - the grand prize was an AMG driving helmet - I must say that it was pretty cool. So, you might want to bone up on your turning and braking skills if you think they might have a similar competition. If you have never been there, be advised that the track is actually in a 'State Park' - Laguna Seca State Park, I believe. When I went to find the track, I passed up the entrance because it said it was for 'Laguna Seca State Park' and I was looking for 'Laguna Seca Race Track' - it was only after I'd passed the entrance that I saw some additional signage about a 'Mazda' track or something like that and figured that must have been it - had to go up a half mile or so before I could turn around. It was about a 20-25 minute drive from the hotel I was staying at. Have a great time - I think we should all be able to view pics from your event, because they post them to a public site. Here's a link to the gallery for the event I attended - http://www.amgacademy.com/gallery/photo-events/laguna-seca-raceway-nov-8. Plus, if you are posted/registered as rhartson, we should all be able to even enjoy your 'lap' video (those are posted as well)! Let us all know how your experience goes - mine was so fun that I would seriously consider taking the next level.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jut got back!! wow!! freakin awesome…Laguna Seca is amazing and the track time you get is substantial….interestingly, my favorite car as the E63 4matic-gawd what a beast..it ws darn near impossible to find a bad line with that car, and the grip is phenomenal…I felt more confident in that car than the SLS…that of course doesn't say sterling things about my skill level, but what the heck….I hear the class will be coming to Circuit of the Americas in Austin-if it does I'm goin' again!!! If you haven't been to one of these and have an AMG, you have to go-you'll be amazed at the capability of your new toy, and meet some great fellow gear heads and Merc owners, as well as Merc factory guys…the MOST fun you can have with your clothes on guaranteed!!!R)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Glad you had a great day. Agree with you on the E63. 4matic will be a big part of MB's future line up. We drag raced CLS63's against the E63's at ADA Basic. The E's won most of the match ups...no spinning wheels, just GO!

Gotta admit, though, that my personal favorite was the SL63. The active suspension and dynamic seats were fantastic...and I'm a sucker for the interior fit out.

How did they use SLK55s in the level 2 course (autocross?)?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you had a great day. Agree with you on the E63. 4matic will be a big part of MB's future line up. We drag raced CLS63's against the E63's at ADA Basic. The E's won most of the match ups...no spinning wheels, just GO!

Gotta admit, though, that my personal favorite was the SL63. The active suspension and dynamic seats were fantastic...and I'm a sucker for the interior fit out.

How did they use SLK55s in the level 2 course (autocross?)?
mostly autocross-though some groups got to use them on the track-I really wanted a go but didn't get the chance….

·
Registered
579 Posts
mostly autocross-though some groups got to use them on the track-I really wanted a go but didn't get the chance….
Too bad...would like a chance for a "same day" direct comparison with the other models...even on the skid pad.

I was like a little kid with a stupid grin on my face all day at ADA. One guy in the older crowd (me) described it as a "supervised play date for 60-year-olds."

Wonder if the R173's will be 4WD? And suspect the big V8 will be history.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one participant described the SLK55 as an angry little car!!..I agree…its a beast…for sheer acceleration its as good as any of the others, and it was perfect for autocross…still, really loved that E63, esp. the S model…hmmm…gotta figure when I "need" my next car ;)..,not that I'd trade the SLK for it, but the Q7 is putting on miles….

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
This is EXACTLY how I felt after my BASIC on 4/26 at Road America up in Wisconsin!!! I can't wait to go again...

Jut got back!! wow!! freakin awesome…Laguna Seca is amazing and the track time you get is substantial….interestingly, my favorite car as the E63 4matic-gawd what a beast..it ws darn near impossible to find a bad line with that car, and the grip is phenomenal…I felt more confident in that car than the SLS…that of course doesn't say sterling things about my skill level, but what the heck….I hear the class will be coming to Circuit of the Americas in Austin-if it does I'm goin' again!!! If you haven't been to one of these and have an AMG, you have to go-you'll be amazed at the capability of your new toy, and meet some great fellow gear heads and Merc owners, as well as Merc factory guys…the MOST fun you can have with your clothes on guaranteed!!!R)

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Just went to the ADA web site and signed up to get an e-mail when the 2014 schedule is released. I'll post a link when I get it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts