Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by @Wilhelm Sorban I decided to add the AMG 55 Lower Bumper Trim to my car (my car already has the AMG Sport trim pack).

Before:

After:

I love the new look :smile:

More details on fitting to follow ...

Attachments

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fitting ...

Fitting is quite straightforward, but you need to get under the car to remove the 'Under Engine Cover/Sump Guard'. I couldn't get ramps under the car as it is so low, so reversed onto some flagstones:

The part number for the trim is: A1728880273 9040.

8mm socket for the cover bolts, but there are so many of them! This was the part of fitting the trim that took the longest!

There is no need to remove the lower bumper grill as the trim just clips over the bumper and the fitting tabs 'push' through gaps in the grill. You reach inside the bumper to fit the 'rivets' which just push into place, and the clips slide on at the bottom:

You have the get the fittings separately, and they have the following part numbers:

Clamps, to the lower side of the trim: A0049883678 - you need 6 of these
Plastic expansion rivets: A1249900492 - you need 7 of these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,049 Posts
If you paint or wrap the bottom trim of your stock AMG front bumper, you will achieve same look as you have done here. Jus’ sayn’...

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you paint or wrap the bottom trim of your stock AMG front bumper, you will achieve same look as you have done here. Jus’ sayn’...

Considered painting but discounted as there would be a 'lip' at the edges due to extra layer of black paint.

Wrapping is an option, but didn't really want to try it myself, and I could do this myself without needing to find someone to fit :smile:

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
176 Posts
Looks great, ive been considering this, does it just clip over the existing or do you have to remove first?

I've also considered wrapping, but theirs far too many angles for me to attempt it.

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
581 Posts
Looks great, ive been considering this, does it just clip over the existing or do you have to remove first?

I've also considered wrapping, but theirs far too many angles for me to attempt it.
As long as you have the AMG exterior kit, this trim will fit right onto the bumper.
You just need to remove the undershielding, below the bumper, to have access to place the plastic expansion rivets.

Having additional OEM parts > any other look-alike :)

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
176 Posts
Just fitted the lower trim, pretty straight forward, especially with a battery socket wrench.

Now I need to decide if I want a front splitter or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium member 2014 SLK200
2,005 Posts
Looking good chaps. One question - do both of the engine undertrays need to come off or can it be done with just the forward cover lowered/removed?
I have one to fit but am currently waiting for two of the spring clamps as, apparently, there are only four in the UK at the moment. Must be you folk buying them all up.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
176 Posts
The rear one overlaps the front, so best to take both off, only 6 bolts in rear, most are in the front any way, the clips are accessible when the covers are on, so you could fit it and slide the rest of the clips on, when they arrive.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,053 Posts
Front splitter.
Been debating that on the AMG for a while.

Decided against due to high speed bumps (you need to put one wheel over the ramp to avoid disaster)
and front in parking over kerbs.

Reinforced that decision this week.
Caught the 350 after parking.

Do like the look though.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
176 Posts
Yes this is the dilemma, as my other half drives the car too.
I think the Maxton one is too low for me, but I do quite like this one.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts