Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up fellas, I'm kinda new here, so yea...but I do have a story:

I was driving my SLK down the highway over to attend my graduation ceremony. I was going about 70-75 when a classmate in his Dodge Charger just zooms right past me. Well I couldn't just let him do that, so I sped up to about 80 to catch up to him, then pass him ever so slightly. He speeds up to like 95 mph, so I just decide to leave the guy in the dust by going about 110. He never passed me, and I made it to the convention center long before he did, his excuse being "there wuz a cop near me bro I'll cream you any day".....right haha

·
Registered
542 Posts

I was driving my SLK down the highway over to attend my graduation ceremony. I was going about 70-75 when a classmate in his Dodge Charger just zooms right past me. Well I couldn't just let him do that, so I sped up to about 80 to catch up to him, then pass him ever so slightly. He speeds up to like 95 mph, so I just decide to leave the guy in the dust by going about 110. He never passed me, and I made it to the convention center long before he did, his excuse being "there wuz a cop near me bro I'll cream you any day".....right haha
Battles on the street are usually won by the one with the biggest balls (sometimes smallest brain) Besides, pending which model Charger it was, he should have plenty of HP to compensate for it's massive weight and kick your ass. You do have the same tranny afterall ;)

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
Manny, where in florida?

try to attend our next get-together

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Battles on the street are usually won by the one with the biggest balls (sometimes smallest brain) Besides, pending which model Charger it was, he should have plenty of HP to compensate for it's massive weight and kick your ass. You do have the same tranny afterall ;)
lol, agree, the charger probably had a laser detector and it beeped like crazy so he slowed down. Going over 100mph is probably not a smart thing to do since max for most highways outside of city limits are 75mph. And the winner is usually the loser when he gets caught first.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
yep...I don't know how old you may be, but up here young males pay through the nose. Add to that a big time speeding fine, and you may find it hard to pay for your SLK's up keep.

Btw...I was a "kid" once too...just incredibly lucky. So pardon my hypocracy.

Congratulations on graduating! What's next?

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Manny/Jeff.....just curious....are 100+ speeds down south referred to as Breakin' the Ton? That's been the slang here for over 40 years.

Probably would not go that fast on a well traveled highway in deference to the safety of others, but we do have a couple of roads in the county that work for the purpose. Pretty much considered free will zones by the LEOs as long as you don't carry passengers or blow positive on their BATs. They might even clock you proper if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jbanks, I'm over in Palm Beach County, and thanks for welcoming me!

Ynot, yea, that's possible haha my car's a 2000 model so it doesn't have that sort of thing, and I've actually never even heard of such devices being in cars, so I never considered that.

Well Der Flieger, I'm actually going abroad for medical school (should they accept me) so I'll only have my SLK for another few weeks :(

Gregg, I've never heard that phrase here but I'm in South Florida, where old people are too busy clogging up the roads in their broken down Oldsmobiles and such to really go fast haha, and it was like 6:30 in the morning on a Saturday so there was enough room to go pretty fast, but be assured fellas, I DO NOT usually go that fast on the highway, I'm actually a really careful driver...most of the time ;)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a little fun. Speeding can be bad, but its really dependent on the drivers skill level, the cars ability, the weather conditions, the type of roads you're on, how much traffic there is... etc.

Driving 120mph on the I-5 near Irvine at 2am on a Saturday is likely safer then doing 80mph during rush hour on a friday and zooming in and out of cars.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Where is "overseas"? Best of luck Doc!! Maybe you can find one there...or at least a 170... Hey...can't you write a prescription...171 for medicinal purposes (avoid depression etc)
Doc can always write a prescription, just be aware it may NOT be a covered benefit:biglaugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where is "overseas"? Best of luck Doc!! Maybe you can find one there...or at least a 170... Hey...can't you write a prescription...171 for medicinal purposes (avoid depression etc)
aha i'm going to the carribbean, and owning a Mercedes there will just get you robbed of your car it can be a rough place to live in.

·
Registered
579 Posts
From your post I think you both can count yourselves as very fortunate that you weren't injured or didn't injure others. An open highway is no place for racing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discretion perhaps?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Pushing over a 100 in the UK can get you a ban if you get the wrong cop. Then your insurance goes through the roof when you get your licence back. Still fun to do it though. Trouble is we are getting more and more unmarked police cars on our motorways.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Pushing over a 100 in the UK can get you a ban if you get the wrong cop. Then your insurance goes through the roof when you get your licence back. Still fun to do it though. Trouble is we are getting more and more unmarked police cars on our motorways.
And horse trailers with smoked glass rear windows! :( Was wandering around down in Bean, and noticed one parked up right before a lay-by. On the way back, low and behold a whole collection of the ol bill parked up having a laugh and some tea.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
And horse trailers with smoked glass rear windows! :( Was wandering around down in Bean, and noticed one parked up right before a lay-by. On the way back, low and behold a whole collection of the ol bill parked up having a laugh and some tea.
Vans yes But Horse boxes ? thats just sneaky

1 - 20 of 26 Posts