Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So who else polishes their windshield glass?
Not with sealant, not with Rain-X, but with polish?

Why polish?
A car's windshield is subject to etching, pitting, scratches and hazing from the debris flying through the air, especially on freeways. Since replacing the entire windshield can be costly, repair scratches with glass polishing kits that are readily available in automotive stores. The kit provides the essential tools to repair the glass. The polishing compound included in the kit is the key ingredient in buffing out scratches. However, the polish will not remove cracks, and it is best to replace the windshield in such cases.

I use this and it comes also in 'fine':

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/glass+polish+8+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks

I just apply, allow to dry like regular car polish, and remove.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I washed mine once? Are you meant to do more?? (no word of a lie, but I've still got the original German fluid in my windshield washer bottle - as I never go out in the rain, the only time the washers & wipers get used is once a year when it has it's MOT test).

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flight lands at 11:12 pm.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,785 Posts
Saves on buying windshield wipers!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have been thinking of getting one of the Diamondite kits to polish out the swirls and scratches... The original glass is otherwise okay.
Figure it's worth a try before $pringing for a new windshield...

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I've done it a couple of times over the years -- also with the Griots Glass Polish when nothing else would take care of the water spots or minor scratches (e.g. clay, rags soaked in vinegar on the glass for 20-30 min, or Duragloss Water Spot Remover #505 which generally does the trick on water spots for me.) Having those problems in the past when I had to let my ride sit out for extended periods of rain/dry/rain when I was not around, caused me to find and apply Aquapel (much better than Rain-X) more frequently every few months, even here where it almost never rains in SoCal. I still put it on every 6 months or so. I don't have the water spot problems I used to on my glass or moon roofs as a result. Scratches of course still occur as things hit the window, especially when I'm transversing the desert areas with the little stones and sand... FWIW, I used a Griots 3" polisher with their white glass polish pad -- as the larger 5-6.5" pads with my Porter Cable I normally use for paint correction, can't get to the window corners well enough and the hand work to do it was enormous.

What I'm paranoid with is some mfgrs (e.g. Lexus in my case -- on my previous 2006 and present 2013) put a permanent coating on the front side windows at the factory that make the rain sheet off much better than the other windows... It really works. Accidental "polishing" would remove that coating and create a big OOPS situation, so I try simpler and preventative methods first all-around. (For whatever reason, they don't put the coating on the front windshield or rear window.)

From what I've researched, I assume MBZ puts no similar coating on any of their glass all-around, so I should be OK with the polish regime if and when my less invasive measures don't do the trick some day. For all you real MBZ SLK owners, am I right in that assumption with our SLKs? THANKS!

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I'm using a product called Glass Scrub which really does a good job stripping the glass of any debris. It is applied very wet and resembles tooth paste. Then I reseal the glass with 3 or 4 coats of Rain-X. I think most people just don't use enough coats of Rain-X.

I might try the Griot's glass polish because I am addicted to car potions. Has anyone tried their Bug Barricade?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
FWIW and clarity to my previous post, where I imply I polish my glass, I meant that if I can't resolve any problems on my windshield with less invasive measures, I remove any stuck on stuff, water marks, or minor scratches using my Griot's 3" hand polisher with white glass pad and their polishing compound intended for that purpose and what the OP was referencing. I see that process of "correcting my glass" no different than the need for me to do the same on my paint finish every 12-18 months or so with my Porter Cable, pads and various polish compounds to remove micro-marring or swirls.

I protect and improve the look of my paint finish by applying a sealant (others use wax or a coating) on a more regular basis over my "corrected finish", and I apply Aquapel to my glass to do the same sort of thing. I used RainX for years until I found Aquapel, but the latter in my experience lasts much, much longer especially if I have to use my wipers and am not just dealing with drizzle like I do here near the coast parts of the year. (Aquapel also costs more, so it probably goes along with the improved durability it provides).

I don't want to unintentionally leave someone with an impression I need to get out the Griots Glass Polish very often. I don't -- perhaps 2-3 times in the last several years -- and my bottle looks like it's almost full. I can generally get stuff off my glass with clay, and then help improve it's ability to repel water with Aquapel.

Hope that helps if I unintentionally set anyone off in the wrong direction with my post. I am still confused sometimes as to if "polish" means "correcting your finish" or "applying protection" which are different things -- especially after following a couple of detailing forums the last year or so where professionals hang out (they tend to say "polish" = "correction", not "protection" which is what you do after you create the so-called perfect finish -- but they and mfgrs are not consistent either) ...so now when I can, I try to not use the word "polish" unless I'm more specific what I mean. Gee-wiz -- this isn't even one of those UK vs US English terminology things that make me smile so often around here. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
So who else polishes their windshield glass?
Not with sealant, not with Rain-X, but with polish?

Why polish?
A car's windshield is subject to etching, pitting, scratches and hazing from the debris flying through the air, especially on freeways.
Does this repair tiny nicks in glass? It had to happen to me eventually, but after 6000 mi I've noticed 2 tiny nicks in the glass, more like annoying dots in my line of vision that won't go away after washing.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
My personal experience is that "nicks and chips" are nearly impossible to remove with abrasive polish designed for glass -- or I should say, I don't trust myself to use even more abrasives and pressure with my buffer to try removing the deeper defect and possibly mess-up a larger area of my glass permanently. There are advertised services that claim they can fill-up chips, but I've not used them, and just live with the few defects that occur over time. I've had fairly good luck removing small scratches on the glass surface and eliminating other types of stuck-on stuff that even clay won't remove.

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
I recently put a pretty big scratch on the inside of my windshield - about 3" long arc right in my line of sight - note to self; always remove your watch or other jewelry before cleaning your windshield! I talked to a windshield 'replacement' service to see if they had any suggestions on how to repair it. The guy told me that if you could feel it when you rubbed your fingernail over it that the windshield would need replacement. That pretty much bummed me out, but I'm not one to take that bit of advice lying down. After a bit of 'googling', I came upon a site that sells an abrasive glass polish and also a pretty nifty woolen 'polishing head'. After reviewing the video, I felt pretty confident that I could tackle that job. I got the kit last Friday and 20 minutes later, the scratch was gone! It really was pretty easy to do - just make sure that you tape and drape the area where you will be working to protect against splatter and 'runs' down the windshield into your dash. I'm not sure if using this polish on the exterior will cause any issues with the rain-sensing wipe function. I'll review and see if I can find anything on that. Anyway, if you have any mild scratches on the Inside, and own a portable electric drill that will turn around 2k rpm, you should be able to tackle this project, too.

·
fastdawg
4,380 Posts
I've been thinking about this, but will it really take out pitting without messing up the rain sensing and tint? I do have pitting on the windshield.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts