Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK55 AMG
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK55 has strips of brushed aluminum below the doors, and I noticed some new scratches below the passenger-side door. I’m probably more careful about not dragging my feet over the aluminum strips than most of my passengers. Is there a good way to remove scratches from brushed aluminum or is it better put some wax on the scratches to reduce oxidation and ignore the scratches? I'm guessing that the brushed aluminum is covered by clear coat and rubbing off the clear coat might increase oxidation of the aluminum. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a good solution?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,569 Posts
My SLK55 has strips of brushed aluminum below the doors, and I noticed some new scratches below the passenger-side door. I’m probably more careful about not dragging my feet over the aluminum strips than most of my passengers. Is there a good way to remove scratches from brushed aluminum or is it better put some wax on the scratches to reduce oxidation and ignore the scratches? I'm guessing that the brushed aluminum is covered by clear coat and rubbing off the clear coat might increase oxidation of the aluminum. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a good solution?
Sorry...been there...done that....
I had to get replacements for a 'ding' in one of mine

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t like seeing scratches on the aluminum, but the scratches are relatively minor and not deep enough to justify replacing the aluminum strip. I used Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0 to reduce the visibility of the scratches and then waxed the aluminum with Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax. The results are not perfect, but I was satisfied with the results. What surprised me was finding black stains on my microfiber polishing cloth after I used the ScratchX. This indicates to me that the aluminum strip was not covered with a clear coat, which was what I expected. Unlike chrome polish, which tends to make brushed aluminum look shiny, the ScratchX does not seem to have much effect on the brushed-aluminum look.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,569 Posts
I don’t like seeing scratches on the aluminum, but the scratches are relatively minor and not deep enough to justify replacing the aluminum strip. I used Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0 to reduce the visibility of the scratches and then waxed the aluminum with Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax. The results are not perfect, but I was satisfied with the results. What surprised me was finding black stains on my microfiber polishing cloth after I used the ScratchX. This indicates to me that the aluminum strip was not covered with a clear coat, which was what I expected. Unlike chrome polish, which tends to make brushed aluminum look shiny, the ScratchX does not seem to have much effect on the brushed-aluminum look.
If you make it to our oct meet in lakeland, you can show the members your handiwork

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
205 Posts
start with 1000 grit and keep going up and polish it out. If you need a source for the polish disk let me know. I work with plastic which is the about the same. Same disk and polish.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told by several people that the illuminated door sills below the doors of an SLK55 were brushed aluminum. After Mercedes did an outstanding job of researching the question for me, I’m 99.9 percent certain that the door sills are brushed stainless steel instead of brushed aluminum. I would like to thank Terminal and Windinmyhair for mentioning that they thought the door sills were stainless steel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts