Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm contemplating purchasing a low profile aluminum floor jack. Not sure what weight capacity to get. Would like to get 1.5 ton as it's the least expensive, but don't want my slk to come crashing down on my head. Im certainly no mechanic, but would like to be able to crawl under, with jack stands of course, but want to be safe. I don't anticipate having to lift the entire weight of the car at once, maybe just the front end to pull the wheels off for cleaning, that sort of thing. Any thoughts? Thanks, Gary

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. I was looking for more feedback on the minimum lift capacity needed. Jacks come in 1.5, 2, 2.5 ton, etc. wondering what the minimum I could get away with without killing myself:surprise:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
those with one will respond. just giving you some choices :D

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I was looking for more feedback on the minimum lift capacity needed. Jacks come in 1.5, 2, 2.5 ton, etc. wondering what the minimum I could get away with without killing myself:surprise:
Once you get used to using one - and realize the ease it brings to many jobs, there may be other opportunities for its use on other cars. Those cars may be heavier and then you would be limited on it's use. For that type of tool I tend to make sure it will work in as many applications as possible. But, to answer your specific question, the 1.5 ton jack will work appropriately on your SLK.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight 1.5 ton jack, and it does just fine for lifting each corner in turn to change tires. Sunhilde weighs 3210 pounds, according to the brochure, and 3000 is 1.5 tons. Technically, the car is over the jack's capacity...but I suspect that the rating is conservative so that people don't use it to try to lift a three-ton SUV with it. I don't crawl under the car while a corner is in the air. I do have jack stands, but to be honest I don't know where to place them under the SLK so that the structure isn't stressed where it shouldn't be.

·
Founding Member 2006 SLK350
4,599 Posts
Reactions: Crank081
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.