Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In short it would appear that some of us with AMG's may have lost the star in the front part of the engine cover! I may have an alternative solution, that can be used to choose an appropriate AMG badge of their own liking and replace the star anyway. Firstly, The star can be replaced by one of these or other design: http://i.imgur.com/aZ1jc2u.jpg as I would like to replace my cruddy star with an AMG badge anyway. These are normally only sold in sets of 4, which is a bind for a purchaser who only needs one...(Just bought 4 badges only - 7.99)

Okay, to the problem!This can happen to the AMG's http://i.imgur.com/2sbK0gJ.jpg Star gone for walkies!

Solution for those wishing to change the star. This is a wheel cap reducer:http://i.imgur.com/TEcXIn8.jpg the bottom is about 75cm and will fit perfectly into the gaping hole of the 'gone walk about star.' The top is 80cm and will drop nicely into the hole leaving a nice professional chamfered (Thin) rim that can be sprayed any color/colour of choice? The 'Wheel Cap' of choice can then be inserted into the reducer and, voila! I WOULD SUGGEST HOLDING THE CAP AND REDUCER IN PLACE WITH SILICONE!" This would make sure the new replacement won't go walkies again...

Update just bought 4 badges only from 'fleabay' will post update when it's done....:nerd:
Update 2. Just cancelled the Ebay order, and purchased 4 AMG Wheels Caps from a local supplier instead, should be here in a couple of days...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Got link to wheel cap reducer?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got link to wheel cap reducer?
I hope I haven't opened up a can of worms, lol....The 'wheel reducer came with a set of Cruize 190 Alloys' that I bought back in April 2015. They came as part of the fitting kit - as I bought them direct, I don't have any Ebay link.Maybe the best thing would be to "Copy" the photo and either email (Or take a photo of it) it to a local wheel stockist and ask them if they have any. I would imagine they would carry them as normal stock.....

·
Registered 2005 SLK 55 AMG
122 Posts
I just used on of the old Mercedes wheel hub centers that I had lying around after changing mine to AMG ones, just had to cut off the rear and stick it on and its still there.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the reducer thingy was crap! It sat so high it looked like "Mount Everest" stuck to my front cover!

Plan B. AMG wheel caps actually sit quite nicely in the vacant hole anyway, but, the small holes around the edge (That fix the star) remain on show. Solution: Cut a circle from vinyl (Can be carbon/silver/chrome/black etc) lay it over the holes, place the trimmed centre cap in the hole and add a little silicone the the rear of the cap to stop it doing what the star did. (Going to see its buddies in space?)

This is it (I used carbon) waiting for the silicone to dry....http://i.imgur.com/SOhDbcl.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick up-date for Myk. The emblem has been on the cover for just over 3 years and it's still holding on firmly. Just the white in the emblem silghtly discoloured, lol....Took this photo for you (Just giving the engine a wipe down with tissue)
:nerd:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,731 Posts
For those wishing to recreate something similar to the original.

I have ordered some samples of mesh for the star backing.
Once I have reviewed them vs an original I will post details.

Star sourcing is an issue.

Options tend to be 75 or 90mm.
One is too small, the other too large (hole is circa 80mm).
If you hunt stars you may find a tail star from a different model closer to original.
I've got a 75mm and have ordered 90mm.
90mm will not leave a ledge.
75 needs support but will leave a ledge, though larger than oem without using a support.

Need to source a hub adjuster to examine if it fits my purpose.

Many thanks to Terence.

Both for original diy and the update.
His has lasted over 3 years already.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For those wishing to recreate something similar to the original.

I have ordered some samples of mesh for the star backing.
Once I have reviewed them vs an original I will post details.

Star sourcing is an issue.

Options tend to be 75 or 90mm.
One is too small, the other too large (hole is circa 80mm).
If you hunt stars you may find a tail star from a different model closer to original.
I've got a 75mm and have ordered 90mm.
90mm will not leave a ledge.
75 needs support but will leave a ledge, though larger than oem without using a support.

Need to source a hub adjuster to examine if it fits my purpose.

Many thanks to Terence.

Both for original diy and the update.
His has lasted over 3 years already.

Hi Myk, this may help. I've just taken a photo of the size of the original mesh for you. Like you, I tried getting a star to fit - the one in the photo is 75mm, but the mesh is: "75.6mm" (Weird) the mesh is the original that I found in my engine bay 'sans' star. I'd be interested to find out if you can get a star to fit the mesh as it would be nice to have the original fitment also. Regards, Terence...

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
924 Posts
I have a star I bought at home, let me check it out and see how big it is. It might be a 90 and is too big to fit all the way down the indent on the cover.

·
28,731 Posts
I have a star I bought at home, let me check it out and see how big it is. It might be a 90 and is too big to fit all the way down the indent on the cover.
90 is just a fraction too large.
It covers the hole, but also all of the ledge.
Should be roughly a 3mm gap from badge to indent.

I'll look into that.
I believe 80mm might be nigh on perfect.

·
924 Posts
90 is just a fraction too large.
It covers the hole, but also all of the ledge.
Should be roughly a 3mm gap from badge to indent.

I'll look into that.
I believe 80mm might be nigh on perfect.
Yep, about a 3mm gap. The issue with most trunk badges is that they are not flat. You need to find one for an old car that still had flat metal. The W204 definitely doesn't look flat. You can see that it is not from this picture:

·
924 Posts
So the W221 trunk star is 85mm and fairly flat. There is a small curve, but not a lot. They are using these for C43 covers, which I think might be the same as ours.

·
28,731 Posts
Had a good look at a 55 star tonight.

Think I have ordered too fine a mesh.

Samples should be here this week.
I might just go with the one I like most, rather than authentic.

Great point @jet_fl Not even crossed my mind.

·
924 Posts
Ok, I did a bunch of research and the only options seem to be 85mm or 74mm from the W203. I looked at mine and the 85mm is still going to be too big so I just ordered one from a W203. It is only coming from 100 miles away so maybe I could get it Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I did a bunch of research and the only options seem to be 85mm or 74mm from the W203. I looked at mine and the 85mm is still going to be too big so I just ordered one from a W203. It is only coming from 100 miles away so maybe I could get it Friday.

74mm is going to be too small. I managed to use a 75mm star and it is still too small - the mesh will overlap the star. Look at the photo it is 'the original mesh' with a 75mm star. I put this on my cover at first, but it didn't look right, hence my changing the emblem to the AMG one...

Wow! My emblem mod is even on Google! https://www.google.com/search?biw=1226&bih=591&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=a15eXZ7SGveV1fAP48CIgAQ&q=mercedes+slk+55+engine+cover&oq=mercedes+slk+55+engine+cover&gs_l=img.3...1335036.1342115..1344718...0.0..0.103.2201.27j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0.TrYvHMSVW_4&ved=0ahUKEwjes-uhk5bkAhX3ShUIHWMgAkAQ4dUDCAY&uact=5#imgrc=quz5NTAixWynlM:

Second down on the left...

Attachments

·
924 Posts
74mm is going to be too small. I managed to use a 75mm star and it is still too small - the mesh will overlap the star. Look at the photo it is 'the original mesh' with a 75mm star. I put this on my cover at first, but it didn't look right, hence my changing the emblem to the AMG one...

Wow! My emblem mod is even on Google! https://www.google.com/search?biw=1226&bih=591&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=a15eXZ7SGveV1fAP48CIgAQ&q=mercedes+slk+55+engine+cover&oq=mercedes+slk+55+engine+cover&gs_l=img.3...1335036.1342115..1344718...0.0..0.103.2201.27j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0.TrYvHMSVW_4&ved=0ahUKEwjes-uhk5bkAhX3ShUIHWMgAkAQ4dUDCAY&uact=5#imgrc=quz5NTAixWynlM:

Second down on the left...
The actual star part you used isn't 75mm, that is the center cap portion. The star you used is supposed to be ~72mm. I don't have the stock mesh anyway, so no biggie. Also, they sell sweet carbon fiber inserts for this one! Goodbye mesh.

·
924 Posts
Ok, got the W203 emblem and it was too small, fell through the hole. I have a W221 emblem on the way, this should be a 85mm emblem. i think this is going to be the best we can do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts