Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my good friends at Slk World.

it's been almost three years since I received my SLK350 beast.

And right now, as the warranty issues are being ironed out completely I am only weeks away before the warranty period ends and I move into the deep realms of uncertainty. I've gone through quite a bit with my vehicle, and it's always been fixed to the state of "as new".

However, I have an option of swapping for a brand new 2009 SLK55 AMG on a new commercial hire purchase agreement or a new 2008-2009 C63 AMG. Or staying with the SLK350 for another two years (current mileage at 55,000km).

For me, if I had to choose, I'd be edging towards the C63 only because it's a newer model as i comparison to the R171. Also it has a REV limit :D and more seats.

I don't need a convertible no more, as I'm over the no top feeling.

Another option for me is a BMW M3 E92. This is the more expensive route, so yeah, much uncertainty here. Or perhaps I should just wait till next year to see what new cars are being released for similar prices.

Regards,
Q

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's been a few hours since I posted this. The more I think about it, there more I don't want to do it. Really, what other mercedes model other than the upcoming SLS or the SLR is better looking than the SLK. I find the C63 hideous. BMW's equally so. I feel if I get either I'm going backwards. CLS is ugly and drives pretty poorly (I've drived the cls350). I've driven the new SL, it's front end is not as good as an SLK's, but totally different cars, which are way above my budget.

The only thing that annoys me is my SLK is my every day car and that is pretty much what I should do, purchase an every day car.

My head is starting to work!!!!

:D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Another SLK? Maybe tough it out until the new model comes out. It's only two more years. I really don't see the logic of a changing models between the same generation. They are esentially the same. I do have a friend that has had 3 mustangs from the same generation (the one before the lastest) but that's because he kept totalling them. His name is Raymond he's nice guy but he likes driving fast. I told him to stop getting Mustangs, they seem hard to handle in some conditions.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I have a fun bike, and an every day bike (plus an old classic), a fun car and an every day car - all you need to do is buy an every day car - something you don't like, so it goes out in the rain, snow, salt & mud, then just change that one every couple of years.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
What Woolly said.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same "have a utility car and a fun car" camp. Now, if I could just get the wifey to learn how to drive so that they would both be used! I had to jumpstart the poor C, she's been completely neglected since I picked up the '55.

Was entertaining to look at the mileage indicator and see 38mpg, though - I *knew* I was in the wrong car! :)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, when I first thought about buying an SLK or a Cayman S, or a BMW E46 (new) E92 Wasn't released yet then.

Cayman is nice but its top didn't come off. And if it did, it would be called a boxter. And I don't even want to go there.

For the past few days I've been looking at a Mitsubishi Evolution VIII MR. The Japanese version, imported here to Sydney, low mileage. Goes likes nuts apparently.

Atm my only problem is it doesn't have traction control and esp, and I've been into too many accidents to know how paramount it is to have t/c and ESP. I survived a car crash by chance, and my wheels locked up once, and I was horrified ever since mounting a curb, going air borne, flipping 6 times and bouncing off a powerpole and surviving.

But maybe what Wooly said, maybe just a crap car I don't like and it has traction control. Sounds like a VW but I already have one of them. May look into a C200K now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm with the rest.

The best car is two cars. Nothing you buy will ever make you happy for every situation.

Actually, I have four in total for different things. Expensive perhaps, but I can change cars depending on my mood.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like other mates said, the best choice would be keeping the Slk and buy a daily car. That´s what I´ve done and so far so good :)

The new C class could be an interesting option. It has a very smooth riding.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like other mates said, the best choice would be keeping the Slk and buy a daily car. That´s what I´ve done and so far so good :)

The new C class could be an interesting option. It has a very smooth riding.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing, I'm either contemplating a new C200K or a Mini Cooper S (Manual) with full options.

I don't think I will get a imported lancer mistubishi EVO VIII MR Japan Spec. because it's too expensive for a second hand car, but it does drive extremely well.

I'll be talking to the accountant in the middle of this week to see how it goes.

R)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
If you are looking at a new car as an addition, try one of the CLC's - the Sport Coupe version of the C. Disadvantage is it's still based on the W203, which is actually an advantage with regard to spare bits and bulletproof.

I'm seriously considering keeping my C - it's paid for, and really handy when you need more than 2 seats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.