Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have posted one of my alloys, the one in worst condition. This is the only one that is slightly bubbling. I am assuming this needs a professional refurb?
I do have an alloy touch up kit, but that will only do for small marks.

The other question is, as you can see the locking wheel bolt is rusting.
Would it be okay to just paint this with the alloy touch up kit? I can only find caps to fit the normal bolts as you can see, I don't suppose anyone has found a cover the locking wheel bolt?

How do I prevent the bubbling and the bolts rusting in the future?

Cheers.

PS - Hope you notice the Mercedes Star Centre cap badge, pointing to the dust cap :D

Attachments

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Painting the bolts with silver hammerite will slow the rusting down - they'll need re-doing every now and then depending on how many miles you do, and in what conditions.

It looks like your wheels have been refurbed before - I can't see the diamond cut on the outer faces.
The bubbling is corrosion under the finish, so you could remove the bubbled area and touch them up, but you will see a line where the bubbling has been removed unless you rub them down ....

Reactions: Phil1987uk

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Personally I always think it's better to have them done professionally. I think with these wheels you have to worry about getting a guy that knows what his is doing, I remember reading somewhere about too much heat in the baking stage of the powder coating / painting can distort the alloy wheel, but I would think most refinishers out there would know that?

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers Sean, just bought some Hammerite Smooth Silver online, for the bolts :smile:

Yea I will get the actual alloys refurbished professionally.

Reactions: CHELZEE

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,731 Posts
When I joined last June someone recommended a place in Warwickshire.

They gave another slk user a set of alloys to use whilst the work was done.

Took 3 days, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Cheers Sean, just bought some Hammerite Smooth Silver online, for the bolts :smile:

Yea I will get the actual alloys refurbished professionally.
I used that on my bolts, which looked great. But however careful I was taking the wheels off I chipped it a bit. When I had my wheels refurbished I asked about replacements. The titanium offered were pricey so I went with zinc plated which were only about £25 I think, they still look great a year later.

Probably much too far for you, but I had mine done at

Home - SouthWest Wheel Repairs

In Exeter, very pleased with them.

Reactions: Phil1987uk

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,448 Posts
I have posted one of my alloys, the one in worst condition. This is the only one that is slightly bubbling. I am assuming this needs a professional refurb?
I do have an alloy touch up kit, but that will only do for small marks.

The other question is, as you can see the locking wheel bolt is rusting.
Would it be okay to just paint this with the alloy touch up kit? I can only find caps to fit the normal bolts as you can see, I don't suppose anyone has found a cover the locking wheel bolt?

How do I prevent the bubbling and the bolts rusting in the future?

Cheers.

PS - Hope you notice the Mercedes Star Centre cap badge, pointing to the dust cap :D
Yes, they have been refurbished and it has been done badly too if I may say so.
To have them done properly , with the complete outward face diamond cut, you need a shop with a CNC lathe. Not every shop does that, most of them only do the outer part of the rim and not the spokes.
Had mine done a few months ago, very costly (1100 euro :surprise:) but they look again brand new now. Ah well, it's only money...

·
1,699 Posts
Locking wheel bolts - I think they are (in most cases, in the UK anyway) an anachronism. When was the last time anyone heard about having wheels stolen? When Wolfrace slots were as rare as hens' teeth maybe....

As far as refurbs are concerned, I think it depends on usage. For an un-garaged daily driver like mine, cleaned by monkeys with acid and a pressure washer ,I'd sooner spend a bit less and get them refinished more frequently. OTOH, when a tank of gas costs £100, I suppose that sort of saving on a three/four year event is small beans. I dunno....:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.