Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK 280 has 16 inch alloy wheels.

Curious - thinking about putting larger alloy wheels on. What difference would I notice?

If I wanted to swap our for larger alloy wheels (17 inch perhaps) what is the largest size that will fit without any modifications/rubbing!

What specification do I need to be looking at (or avoiding)? Or should I stick with 16inch as on the vehicle.

Sorry - lots of questions -but I'm confident others will have considered this too.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
788 Posts
While increasing the dia of the wheel, you likely want to keep the circumference of the tire the same...which means lower profile...and almost certainly a bit harsher ride...I've got 18's on my 2012 SLK 350.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johnkat. Am I right in thinking that the same alloys will fit both the 280 and 350?

I understand that a lower profile will make the ride a little harder - do you or anyone have any pics that show the visual difference to the car of increasing rim size from 16 inch to 18 inch?
Is there an optimum balance between increasing size and maintaining ride quality? Is it 17 inch?

Regards

Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
788 Posts
Sorry Dave, no pig's here, but the link Jeff sent shows a pretty neat comparison. Btw, 17's are the base size for my 2012 SLK350, mine came with the optional 18's,

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts