Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a certain point, I had incessant sqeaking in my car that was annoying at best and embarrassing when I had passengers. I thought it was part of livig with a convertible until I read the various solutions posted on this forum.

I took care of my noise problem by two ways:
1. I lubed the rubber seals in the roof with Chamois creme. (it did say "anti friction" creme:biglaugh: I will be ordering Gummi Pflege soon but for the time being the creme works!

2. It turned out the majority of my squeaks was comming from my seat belt clamp rubbing up against my seat. It seems plastic rubbing against vinyl is not a good combination. Before I thought it was comming from my seat. I noticed some others on this forum had the same suspicion.

My solution, Wrist sweat bands I picked up at Nike for about 10USD in dark blue. It is the perfect fit, and does not interfere with the seat belt function, one bit!

END RESULT? About 95% of the annoying sounds are GONE!!!!:bannana:

Hope this info helps other!

Cheers from a soggy Seoul,
Alex:Beer:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Eddy there's a shortage of old black socks at Goodwill stores thanks to you:biglaugh:

Reactions: etyu

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I first bought my car, I noticed that the roof squeeks a lot while driving shortly after putting the top up. When I took my father for a drive, he said the same thing would happen in his 911 Targa. He said that putting talcom powder on the rubber seals stops the squeeks.

I'm a bit reluctant to do that. Thoughts?

I'm inclined just to tolerate it. It usually subsides within about 5 minutes of driving as the roof finally settles into place.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Try it and see how it works. At worst you'll just have a cleaning job and you can tell us all what happenned.

That said, I would go with Gummi treatments. I would prefer to enhance the elasticity of the rubber itself by treating it regularly than to hide one of the symptoms. Beyond that the Krytox should give the low friction you are expecting from the powder. And, for all of the reading I've done on this site, I've not heard of powder as a solution to roof squeaks.

Regardless, let us know - we love new solutions to old problems. And for those of us that are cheapskates, Talcum Powder is a lot cheaper than Gummi & Krytox !

Best Wishes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link etyu.
It was due to the forum, that I actually realized I didn't have to live the squeaks anymore.

After, my chamois experiment(to all the bikers out there), other alternatives may be used instead of krytox or gummi. My solution seems to be still working:). Actually the creme is designed not to degarde the chamois material and listed as "anti friction creme" so I may hold out on ordering the gummi for awhile.

Cheers!
Alex

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
alexjychoi,

Damn, never thought of putting sock in that "noisy" place =))) Will try it since it annoys me sometimes =)) Have lots of unmatched one :bannana:About the rubber sealings on the roof: I used Meguiars vinyl/rubber protectant. This eliminated all my squeaks but it leaves a nasty residue after it rains =( So looking for somth different. Does Gummi Pflege leave any residue after the rain?!

·
3,552 Posts
Does Gummi Pflege leave any residue after the rain?!
Gummi is a clear thin liquid with a sponge applicator. It has never left a residue that I have been able to see. The problem I have with it is that it is hard to put much of it on the rubber because it is so thin. I usually put two or three applications a couple of days apart.

What I like about Gummi is that it restores the rubber's resiliency so that it performs as originally intended.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Gummi is a clear thin liquid with a sponge applicator. It has never left a residue that I have been able to see. The problem I have with it is that it is hard to put much of it on the rubber because it is so thin. I usually put two or three applications a couple of days apart.

What I like about Gummi is that it restores the rubber's resiliency so that it performs as originally intended.
Alright Reb! I will order one from Amazon and test it! Thank you for sharing your experience!:Beer:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

Reb,
Gummi pflege is an awesome thing!!! No residue, no squeaks, nothing!!!! Easy application too!!!! Grrrreat stuff!!!!!:tu:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have this issue, but I cannot find where it comes from. I dont know exactly where I should put this gummi, could somone please snap some photos of these locations?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have this issue, but I cannot find where it comes from. I dont know exactly where I should put this gummi, could somone please snap some photos of these locations?
You treat any roof/door rubber trims with the gummi. Just follow the rubber trims and treat them with the gummi fledge :)

·
3,552 Posts
Search John's Broomstick (http://www.slkworld.com/diy-section/13187-diy-r171-holding-roof-open-broomstick-modification.html ) and you should find some pics, although Jason has a 170 that will be more like yours. I use the Gummi on the roof seals, which basically means that you open the roof part way, stop it at or near it's balance point (16" or so back from the windshield.) and then rub the gummi on all of the rubber seals you can see, and there's a lot of them. Basically all of the roof panels (top, rear glass, both side pillars) are bordered by rubber seals. The gummi basically expands those so that they seal better and don't slip (squeak).

As is said above - the gummi is thin so it is hard to put a lot on at once, so just treat it several times a few days apart. Hope it helps.

Best Wishes,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.