Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving her 2014 350SLK a couple of days ago and hit a curb which blew out one of the front tires. She took the car to the MB dealership yesterday to get a new tire and an alignment but the service manager said no alignment was necessary. She asked the service manager a second time if she needed the alignment to make sure he understood but he said it wasn't needed. This struck me as strange since on all other cars hitting a curb would automatically mean getting an alignment.

Does anyone know if the car would or wouldn't need an alignment after such an accident?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,112 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your vehicle (model and year,ie 2007 SLK 350) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. Help us help you.
Update like this: ‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your 'vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘garage’.

Then don’t be shy, we don’t bite. Post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
Definetely get an allignment.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My wife was driving her 2014 350SLK a couple of days ago and hit a curb which blew out one of the front tires. She took the car to the MB dealership yesterday to get a new tire and an alignment but the service manager said no alignment was necessary. She asked the service manager a second time if she needed the alignment to make sure he understood but he said it wasn't needed. This struck me as strange since on all other cars hitting a curb would automatically mean getting an alignment.

Does anyone know if the car would or wouldn't need an alignment after such an accident?
Stealership told me that the car needs to be aligned every six month for $210.00

The Alignment Factory in Miami charged $45.00 and told me it only needs alignment when I hit a curb or replace the tires... The guy at the alignment factory has only been doing one thing for 30 years - Alignments

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Well it depends how
What
With angle

Etc etc
You can just brush past a kerb and nothing will happen ie blow out
But do again and a blow out .

Depends on speed angle how much of a direct impact you have on a kerb etc .

But to be on the safe side by all means have a 4 wheel laser alignment check adjust done .

But you may be lucky and not actually knock out the alignment enough .

How often wheel alignment has to be done well common sense kicks in then .
Slight kerbing which happens here in uk land often .
Susp
Bushes
Springs
Alloy wheel change
Etc
Etc
I could go on .
But if the tyres are running true no edge wear pulling to one side
And you dont kerb ever
And no steering susp wear .

Leave well alone .

It also depends on your mileage if you dont do many no need for it .
If you put a lot of milage then it makes sense to .

But after a while as in a long period no harm in getting checked out . :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Maybe the dealer did a free alignment check and didn't see anything out of spec? Probably unlikely... I know I always say this in every alignment thread but find your local Firestone Auto and get their lifetime alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts