Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my tires, soon, and was wondering if there's an alignment fix for the car stepping out every time I go around a corner...? Searched & reviewed all the forums for info, but, nothing was particularly helpful. Apparently, there's no camber adjustment on the rears? My wear is fairly even (the center more so than the outsides - due to higher tire pressures... Will bring those down by a couple psi...). It's just that, even with the best tires (Super Sports, 255/35 ZR18s), even with moderate throttle, the back end steps out. Worse, on large sweepers, it doesn't inspire confidence above 80 mph (my taller, narrower, smaller-tired WRX corners better)... Any suggestions?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,118 Posts
Rupert, have you had a wheel alignment yet?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
If you have been running with too high a pressure that will have contributed to loss of grip as the full width of you tread wont have been in proper contact with the road

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Replacing my tires, soon, and was wondering if there's an alignment fix for the car stepping out every time I go around a corner...? Searched & reviewed all the forums for info, but, nothing was particularly helpful. Apparently, there's no camber adjustment on the rears? My wear is fairly even (the center more so than the outsides - due to higher tire pressures... Will bring those down by a couple psi...). It's just that, even with the best tires (Super Sports, 255/35 ZR18s), even with moderate throttle, the back end steps out. Worse, on large sweepers, it doesn't inspire confidence above 80 mph (my taller, narrower, smaller-tired WRX corners better)... Any suggestions?
The solution is to start drifting around the corners. Just kidding. Is an aftermarket LSD applicable in the OP's case? What are the front and rear tire sizes and PSI?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The solution is to start drifting around the corners. Just kidding. Is an aftermarket LSD applicable in the OP's case? What are the front and rear tire sizes and PSI?
If I didn't drift (or oversteer) so much, maybe my tires would last a little longer... :rb
235/40 ZR18 front (46psi) & 255/35 ZR18 rear (same). When they warm up, they're just under maximum pressure, providing maximum sidewall stiffness, and (with these particular tires) an acceptable delta between the middle of the tire and the outsides (about 1/32" difference when middle is bald). Aside from that, it's good, even wear. No alignment as of yet (39k miles). That's why I'm asking - I intend to get an alignment done when I replace the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
If I didn't drift (or oversteer) so much, maybe my tires would last a little longer... :rb
235/40 ZR18 front (46psi) & 255/35 ZR18 rear (same). When they warm up, they're just under maximum pressure, providing maximum sidewall stiffness, and (with these particular tires) an acceptable delta between the middle of the tire and the outsides (about 1/32" difference when middle is bald). Aside from that, it's good, even wear. No alignment as of yet (39k miles). That's why I'm asking - I intend to get an alignment done when I replace the tires.
Shouldn't the front be 34PSI and the rear 36PSI or something along those lines? For alignment, check out Firestone's lifetime alignment. Sometimes they have 10 to 20% "any service" coupons. For the price of about 2 alignments, it's hard to beat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts