Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really limited to ALberta people. If you want to join us, feel free to speak up. :)

Since this year's first kick at an SLK cruise went well on short notice I'd like to plan a cruise or get together for next year.

Anyone who's interested speak up.

Let me know

what time of year works best (Late June? Early August? September?)
and
Where you'd like to cruise?

We did the Miette Hot springs road and Jasper this year. Was loads of fun. Mountain roads seem to be great for spirited driving in the SLK, but hey we're open to any suggestions you have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jasper is always a great destination.

Also there is the Icefields Parkway, running between Jasper and Banff
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14_E.asp

Another option is the Cowboy Trail, along Highway 22. Running north-south along the foothills and Rocky Mountains. Amazing views and vistas... but pretty much just a flat out straight road.

As for time... June, is usually pretty good. Summer holidays aren't in full swing, and so hotel accommodations aren't through the roof yet.

Just my $0.02 worth. I'll be keenly interested... I need to make the 2010 trip after bailing out on the 2009 trip.

s.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Well, may not be able to make it up for your cruise, but I'll probably be in Calgary week of the 12th of October, which is evidently some holiday?! :D

Fancy meeting up for a beer? I'm staying downtown at the Sheraton, I think...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ditto on the eau claire.

I think I'm actually flying back home that day. Not sure if I have a connecting flight in calgary or not.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi John....

Happy to buy you a beer if you find the time while in the city!

Cheers!

Dan

P.S.

And couldn't make the last Jasper run, but would love to do the next one!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's time to start organizing.

I'll be making phone calls until the end of the month for hotels and resorts in the mountain area (Jasper, Banff, Radium, etc). I think the June or September time period should be good. Get a better price on rooms and the roads won't be as packed.

If you got any suggestions or opinions let me know.

and please feel free to sound off if you're intending on joining us or not. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe my wife and I will be....after we're married in July. Sh'es planning the honeymoon in Niagra Falls.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Not really limited to ALberta people. If you want to join us, feel free to speak up. :)

Since this year's first kick at an SLK cruise went well on short notice I'd like to plan a cruise or get together for next year.

Anyone who's interested speak up.

Let me know

what time of year works best (Late June? Early August? September?)
and
Where you'd like to cruise?

We did the Miette Hot springs road and Jasper this year. Was loads of fun. Mountain roads seem to be great for spirited driving in the SLK, but hey we're open to any suggestions you have.

Had a ball last year and would love to go again depending on the timing, we are tentatively planning to drive down the west coast to Frisco in September taking a couple of weeks, other than that we should be fairly open.
R)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Harry had a suggestion to go over the highwood pass and stay in kananaskis village.

I also have been doing some reading lately on "Ghost towns of ALberta". There is one down near drumheller called Wayne http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/wayne.html(However it's about 4 miles of gravel road to get to it). Thought maybe we could go to Drumheller and rent a van to go see the ghost town.... or just go to drumheller. There's some nice windy roads around there too :)

There's also far more ghost towns to read of here
http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/alberta.html

So far the suggestions are

Cowboy trail (This runs through Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg, and we could actually zip off to Jasper or Banff if we wanted to)

Highwood pass (Kananaskis)

Drumheller (and go see the Ghost town of Wayne if we want)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't speak for the others, but there's 2 reasons I won't be there this year. Oct is when we start commissioning activities at our plant. Won't have time off. Also October could mean .......snow:s. I'd have to rent an SLK to drive down :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Long been a fantasy of mine to (again) do the cowboy trail (did Hwy 22 when I "missed" a turnoff coming back to central Alberta from Lethbridge, and was able to travel "very fast" (without saying too much) on the last turn to the north before the B.C. border - based on my NAV system rescuing me in the R-class. What a beautiful drive. Mountainous and twisty roads were built for panoramic roofs and open tops. I'm just about to buy a CLK320 next week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts