Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There!

I collected my SLK 55 AMG at the weekend, best car I have ever owned, am loving it!

However, my insurance company (Direct Line UK) has asked I provide some sort of certificate based on the Alarm/Immobiliser which comes as standard with the Merc SLK.

Any idea where I could get something like this?

Thanks for any help!

Bucks.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Buckster, I've had the same problems with Direct Line, who asked for a tracker to be fitted, and my way round it is don't use them!!. I switched to Admiral Multicar, who don't require a tracker or proof of alarm/immobiliser (and worked out cheaper).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
buckster,

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.
usercp, edit your details, location/vehicle.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone...

I will update my profile later when I get a sec - cheers

I called DL and they confirmed there is no bending on the rules, car requires a tracker. It doesn't make financial sense to spend £500+ on a tracker when compared to a hop onto another insurance company.

Cheers

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi...

I think I may have just become one of those people on the CONFUSED.COM adverts :biglaugh: - managed to save £120 over my DL policy and this one also has protected NCB, doesn't require proof of alarm/immob.

I wuold love to meet up with you guys but that's been x2 weekends in a row I have been driving - first was to drop my Lotus Esprit to new owner (Edinburgh to Brighton, almost killed me) and then collecting my SLK on Saturday from Sheffield.

You may need to sort out a nice drive up here on the westcoast sometime :)

See you soon and thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For what it's worth Direct Line are still doing this - I called them to change the details when I was on the way out of the door to get the car - got to change insurance co tomorrow - PITA!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Adding to the subject, I am with Direct Line, and they would not cover the SLK against theft until I produced a certificate that showed that I had fitted a tracker device to the car and that it was activated for the duration of the insurance period. I ended up having Smartrack Protector Pro fitted. £200 fitting, then £139 per year satellite tracking. Something else to add onto the budget:td:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Cheapest deal I got was the AA and not interested in the tracker. None of my insurers wanted it activated and even if it was it would not reduce the premiums. Shop around is my advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.