Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's plenty of DIY's on replacing disc brake pads so I won't bother. I will, however, give my impressions of the Akebone Ceramic pads I just installed. Huge disappointment.....until I read the bit on "bedding" disc brake pads.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Boy, I had those pads SMOKING! After ten or fifteen "near stops" I just cruised for about fifteen minutes and tried an "emergency" stop. I now have to get the windex out to get rid of the "nose oil" on my windscreen. These things STOP.

I am completely satisfied. Total cost: $57 front $53 rear. Here's some quick pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
interesting. according to the akebono customer service rep no bedding is needed for the ceramic pads. i have the euros and never bedded them and they work exceptionally well.

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting. according to the akebono customer service rep no bedding is needed for the ceramic pads. i have the euros and never bedded them and they work exceptionally well.
Honestly they weren't worth a hoot until I did the "bedding". Before they felt "spongy" and "soft" and I really don't think they'd brake hard enough to activate the ABS. They certainly will now.

Of course I only drove it a few miles before I tried the bedding and was wondering if I did something wrong. I even pulled the wheels and checked my work again. Let's face it, it's not rocket surgery! They now work like they're supposed to.

The old pads were semi-metalic and weren't in too bad of shape. Rotors are fine. Rears took all of five minutes each.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
.... I now have to get the windex out to get rid of the "nose oil" on my windscreen.
I would not recommend Windex for the windshield/windscreen because of the ammonia. Use an automotive glass cleaner like Stoner Invisible Glass.

If you're speaking of this figuratively, then ignore the above statement. Thank you for the feedback on the ceramic pads.

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not recommend Windex for the windshield/windscreen because of the ammonia. Use an automotive glass cleaner like Stoner Invisible Glass.

If you speaking of this figuratively, then ignore the above statement. Thank you for the feedback on the ceramic pads.
I was speaking figuratively.

As for the pads, I'll continue to give updates as my wife and I are driving the Pacific Coast Hwy this summer so they should get a decent workout. So far so good.

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The brakes handled supurbly on the twisties! What a great experience.

I highly recommend the Akebonos. I'm probably going to put drilled rotors on this summer.

You know me, I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1 on the Akebono pads!

I don't really notice a difference in stopping power but the elimination of brake dust was worth the price of admission.
Put them on, cleaned the car and drove it for 2 weeks... For once my rear wheels were dirtier than the fronts!

Gotta pick up some ceramics for the rear someday, but it's not really critical.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
They are great; no dust and like 320 dreamer, I did no bedding in, and they have worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts