Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250 CDI
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I showed my son photos of my new car and the first thing he said was that the air vents would look good if they matched the three point star.

Why are they 4 point stars instead of 3 point?

Tim

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250 CDI
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the points do is give you something to get your fingers on to rotate the vent to open/shut it and to direct the air flow. Whether they had 2, 3 or 4 points or even a little knob in the middle, the function would not be affected - it's just that 3 stars would match the steering wheel logo. Having chromed them rather than left them black plastic makes it stand out. It looks like this is a common feature on a lot of models within the MB range.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
All the points do is give you something to get your fingers on to rotate the vent to open/shut it and to direct the air flow. Whether they had 2, 3 or 4 points or even a little knob in the middle, the function would not be affected - it's just that 3 stars would match the steering wheel logo. Having chromed them rather than left them black plastic makes it stand out. It looks like this is a common feature on a lot of models within the MB range.
They are retro. Like the grille apes the grille on the 190SL, the vents are the same as the ones from cars from the 1950's and 1960's.

It is what it is. Some designer got a brief and drew them out like that. As you say, they could have made them like a 3-pointed star and they could look pretty good, or maybe not. It's impossible to say without doing it. If I was 20 years younger I'd fire up Rhino and knock a few out on the 3D printer. But these days I'm happy just to take what MB put in the showrooms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.