Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered SLK 280 2007
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Just wondering if somebody has the vent #90 actually working and how because mine isn't and I'm trying to understand if it's something that needs fixing.

Thanks!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,215 Posts
and you rotated the wheel to allow air through? some have closed when trying to open

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,744 Posts
They are closed if you turn the thumbwheels of airvent #70 beyond the first stop.
As per the manual:

Opening the center air vents
 Turn thumbwheels 2 and 9
( page 172) upward to the first stop.
Center air vents1,3,8 and 10 are
open.
 Turn thumbwheels 2 and 9
( page 172) upward all the way.
Only center air vents 1and 10 are
open.

But ofcourse that was the first place you looked......:D

·
103,215 Posts
the ones on left and right are fixed and do not have wheels or adjusters.
have you tried heat and cool?
i don't remember but they only work with heat or cool not both.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,502 Posts
On my 05 350, the only way is to put the thumbwheel in the center/detente position.

·
103,215 Posts
he is referring to the vents left n right that don't have thumbwheels
i believe they only work with heat and not cool

·
Registered SLK 280 2007
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the ones on left and right are fixed and do not have wheels or adjusters.
have you tried heat and cool?
i don't remember but they only work with heat or cool not both.
I think I have but will double check... I only have the temperature wheel so heat or cool would be a lot warmer or a lot colder, correct?

·
103,215 Posts
you have air conditioning right?
turn it on and see if any cool breeze comes out of those fixed vents left AND right
if so, then turn the heat on so it comes out of all vents and then see if you get any warm/hot breeze coming out of the fixed vents in question.
if only hot comes out, then the cool does not use those fixed vents but the vents next to them with the wheels and adjusters.
or vice versa

·
2,744 Posts
Guys,

like efair and the manual says they are controlled by the thumbwheels of the center vents.
When you turn these beyond the first stop they are closed.

·
103,215 Posts
the vents he is talking about does NOT have thumbwheels :D
you're telling me the thumbwheels of the vents that have thumbwheels control the vents that don't?
they must be verrrry long parts to reach to the fixed no thumbwheel vents :D
i say they are for only heat or ac but not both that is why they have no thumbwheel

·
103,215 Posts
I will apologize if wrong, but when thumbwheels allow vents with thumbwheels to have breeze, the fixed vents don't (at least on mine) when using ac. only when using heat do my fixed vents (no thumbwheel) get a breeze (warm) :D

·
103,215 Posts
Don't you just love a lively discussion! :D

·
2,744 Posts
I'm not saying you're wrong Jeff, but on all my 3 SLK's I had they work in the way as described in the manual.
Turn the thumbwheel of the centre vents till the first stop and all vents aren open, turn it beyond that point and only the centre vents (the ones with the thumbwheel) are open and the fixed ones are closed. Doesn't matter if the airco is blowing hot or cold.

·
103,215 Posts
I hear you SP. but when my ac is blowing through thumbwheel vents, i have no air through the fixed. If i switch to hot/heater, i get warm/hot through both fixed and thumbwheel vents so that shows wheel in proper position :D
I will apologize now but since it is 90 degrees and 100% humidity, i don't want to try the heat! :D

·
2,744 Posts
Well, now you got me starting to doubt, so went down to my garage, turned the igntion and A/C on and checked. Thumbwheel in position up to the first stop, cold air is coming through both vents. Amount of air coming through the fixed vents is much and much less then the amount coming through the center vents though. Turn the wheel beyond the first stop, absolutely no air at all through the fixed vents. So just as the manual says. Didn't try the heater though. Sorry.

·
103,215 Posts
try the heater :D Thanks for checking

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
262 Posts
If you put the thumb wheel of the center vent in its middle detente you will get air out of both vents. If you go to either extreme you either get no air or air out of the top center only. That is just how it works, magic stuff.

·
Registered SLK 280 2007
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can confirm it's just the wheel that seems to matter for me too. Setting temperature to both red and blue dots results in the same flow if the wheel allows for that (about 18 celsius/65 fahrenheit ouside if it matters).

thanks for comments!:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.