Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
The time is near!! I'm about to order a Vath intercooler and I need advice on air filters.
Avoiding K&N, what's a good air filter that will get me 10000000000hp more :)?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Unless you are running a highly tuned engine, a clean stock OEM filter can provide more air than you engine can use.... with better protection
Totally agree.

The only meaningful thing you can do with air intake is to cool it. Cool air draws in more fuel. The extreme of this of course is Nitrous…

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you are running a highly tuned engine, a clean stock OEM filter can provide more air than you engine can use.... with better protection
Totally agree.

The only meaningful thing you can do with air intake is to cool it. Cool air draws in more fuel. The extreme of this of course is Nitrous?
Thank you all. I'll replace with a oem MB one when the new intercooler goes in

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have to disagree with most of you. Although you may or may not notice a gain, a better flowing air filter will increase performance, but not by much. I have always used K&N oiled filters in the past, noticeable difference, and never prob w/ MASS (oil lightly but evenly). It is time for my B maintenance on my SLK. After researching here and everywhere, I decided to go with the aFe pro-dry S filter as they are the only company that shows flow data plus I didn't want to do the oil again (not necessary unless off road). It came in the other day, nice build quality, little heavier than stock, proven 60CFM increase over stock (same filtration as OEM). Installed it, nice fit, and noticeable difference in throttle response and vacuum sound (breathes lil better). Oh and yes it pulls a lil harder so I know there is some HP increase although not much, and yes it can be supplemented with other mods to get even more out of the extra air flow which just makes for more efficient combustion.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
what i want to know is..............

Why are people slating the K&N and promoting the BMC

When i have a BMC in my M3 and a K&N in my V6 Viano............. and the construction is to the eye identical
Pleated cotton/gauze with an oil applied

???????????

·
95,062 Posts
they both have oil albeit slight
I use MB oem :D

·
95,062 Posts
The team that put my Kleemann in recommends BMC so I passed it on
They do not recommend K & N

I would think the price of $80 each filter for BMC would mean they are made of gold or better filtration stuff :D

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,039 Posts
Well i was due a replacement air filter so opted for K & N for circa £42.00 no brainer .
And that was well over a year ago no issues or engine management light on so
Id recommend one. :nerd:

·
Registered
866 Posts
The K&N and the BMC both use cotton gauze as the filter media that must have oil applied in order to filter properly. The aFE pro dry S uses an actual filter media similar to OEM material that provides the same filtration but with better flow without the use of oil and it is washable and reusable as well. The oiled filters were originally developed by K&N for off road racing and later marketed for street applications. I really think the oiled filters work good, just not necessary for street and plus you have to re-oil after you clean and dry and you had better do it right and light or you will have problems.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
Hi do you still recommend k and n filter , they are now £70.00
Or can Point me in a cheaper direction, thank you
I wouldn't put a K+N anywhere near my engine. There are some objective graphs around somewhere which highlight their filtration shortcomings.

I'd go with OEM every time - and change it frequently. Mann elements to fit your car are currently (inc VAT): £18.52 at ECP. Maybe even cheaper at CP4L.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/air-filter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.