Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best air filter for an slk230 any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
myslk230 said:
what is the best air filter for an slk230 any suggestions?
from the research i used to do for when i had my 230, best were the green filters followed by K&N. Reason for green filter was that it was less oily. If you do go with K&N, it was recommended to let it sit over night and drie a little. Since the MAS sensor is located at a perfect spot for the oil to drip on, it is the first sensor to go (which was an issue with some people)

How about an atmospheric bypass for that supercharger valve of yours? :cool:
I did it on my '00 SLK230... and it sounded amazing when you let off the gas.

If you do a search on Benzworld for all posts by my forum name in the R170 forums, you will find a bunch of threads on the setup.
This is not my setup... but i did mine in a similar way
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r170-slk-class/42251-intake-pictures-26_1471582_51200525457am.jpg?d=0

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i have done this but myu check engine light came on any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
myslk230 said:
yes i have done this but myu check engine light came on any suggestions?
well if your car is running fine, no loss of power or anything. Then the silly light is just reading a code. I used to get them all the time for no reason what so ever. You can either have it cleared with an OBDII or just learn to ignor it.

I'm not sure if you know this already, but the car HAS TO BE OFF when you refuel. Else you get the light, the cap has to be on tight, else you get the light. There are a few things dealing with gas cap that can cause the check engine light to go on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well what did you use to make the air filter fit to the MAF

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
myslk230 said:
well what did you use to make the air filter fit to the MAF
I had a flange welded together at a local shop. It fit right onto the MAF and allowed me to hook up a cone filter.

However i thought i saw a flange similar to size and fit sold at AutoZone (local auto store - for those who are international)

Best way would be to use a custom made flange.

·
Registered
208 Posts
noregret4life said:
I had a flange welded together at a local shop. It fit right onto the MAF and allowed me to hook up a cone filter.

However i thought i saw a flange similar to size and fit sold at AutoZone (local auto store - for those who are international)

Best way would be to use a custom made flange.
Well if you hooked it to the MAF you would nt have a supercharged car??

MAF is off the intercooler on other side of car to where supercharger and OE airfilter is.

I would just use standard paper filters in original housing. Many tests written, have shown not a lot is gained from changing anything in this area other than, less filtering, more noise, MAF problems.

Bazzle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea well i put the stock filter back on and i think im going to buy the pulley kit soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just changed the air, and cabin air filter. Both from the dealer. Put me back about 70 bucks..

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
Some purists put down Fram but I use the Extraguard in both my SLK320 and me 2011 E 350 and they are fine.
They are also a lot cheaper than the OEM stuff and work as well.
For your car you need the CA8625 Fram Extraguard. You can get them at any parts store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.