Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 120 degree day in Arizona, I had been driving for about 15 minutes with max a/c on. Stopped for 30 minutes, drove another 15 minutes, stopped for 10 minutes, drove again for 10 minutes. Lastly, I stopped for about 15 minutes to do some shopping (The a/c was not never turned to off while the car was off). I started the car afterwards and soon thereafter I heard a strange noise, maybe a slight boom but I do not remember. I looked outside from inside the car and saw white smoke accompanied by a hissing noise. WTF!? I thought it someone was using leaf blower nearby. I exited the car and no leaf blower. I waited for the smelly smoke to clear and the noise to stop then opened the hood slowly. Seeing nothing, I made my way home. Almost immediately after driving away, the a/c was only blowing warm air. It was at that time I realized the refrigerant blew out.
I figured due to the max a/c being on and the outside temperature too much pressure built up. I will attempt to recharge it myself, but I would like to know if I should be aware of anything else that could have gone wrong absent of the refrigerant escaping, e,g., newly formed cracks, o-ring damage, etc. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long post but I thought the back story would be important.

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you blow a line?
I don't know yet, just based on a visual inspection. I did get a manifold regulator and tomorrow morning I'll do some testing. Thank you for your response. I hope and you others can and will be my supervisors for this project.

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know yet, just based on a visual inspection. I did get a manifold regulator and tomorrow morning I'll do some testing. Thank you for your response. I hope and you others can and will be my supervisors for this project.
Yep, Ran some air through a manifold gauge, heard some hissing and after looking around for a while I discovered that I blew a line. It was the line coming from the condenser to the receiver drier. Gonna order the part today. The new receiver drier came in today.

Thank you,

Rome.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts