Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,037 Posts
To be honest, I'd leave that one to the dealer / service dept ...

It's going to be easier to replace the whole airbag if/when it's due for a change on calendar time

Reactions: Beppi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its usually recommended that Airbags are replaced after 10 years. It should be left to a garage to sort out as they are potentially lethal.

They dont have a gas cylinder so nothing to recharge. They work by having an explosive charge which when detonated produces a large volume of rapidly expanding gas which then inflates the airbag.

Personally I have never bothered, my oldest car (Just sold) was 15 years and I never felt the need to spend a lot of money on replaing all the airbags. Remember in modern cars you can have many airbags - my current car has 8 or 10 . Replacing all of those would cost many thousands.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Expiration date may be related to the chemicals used to produce the "controlled" explosion, probably to make sure that they function as intended.

Reactions: Beppi

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting this explosive charge design, I wonder if anyone know how it works. Maybe some diagrams and the mechanism how the explosion is triggered. The whole concept sounds dangerous without knowing all the facts. If there is an explosive change I would imagine it may be a life time unserviceable component of the car then, that is if it is not physically damaged before it's life time period.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Very interesting this explosive charge design, I wonder if anyone know how it works. Maybe some diagrams and the mechanism how the explosion is triggered. The whole concept sounds dangerous without knowing all the facts. If there is an explosive change I would imagine it may be a life time unserviceable component of the car then, that is if it is not physically damaged before it's life time period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.