Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've just found out one thing to look out for coming to an AMG... they're lower than normal cars. Combine this with a slightly higher kerb & the result = a crack on the chin. I guess I'm lucky that it's underneath so a repair should be possible - still annoyed though.

May try and find a few extra parking sensors just for the chin <grrrr>

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,510 Posts
It's very common on these cars to find that kind of damage. It's easy go in too deep when parking.

I discovered damage from this done by previous owners on my R171 55 after I bought it and got it repaired. It's a good opportunity to get rid of stone chips at the same time.

There is a device called Curb Alert Pro or something along those lines that you could consider. I fitted front and rear cameras instead.

Don't beat yourself up over it though it's easily done especially when you are getting used to the car.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,376 Posts
Before you go chasing parktronic, test drive a car fitted with it.

OH desperately want that system, got it & got more annoyed at the constant beeping than any minor ding.

The old SLK adage.

Try before you buy.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts
Well I've just found out one thing to look out for coming to an AMG... they're lower than normal cars. Combine this with a slightly higher kerb & the result = a crack on the chin. I guess I'm lucky that it's underneath so a repair should be possible - still annoyed though.

Get used to size and how now lower your car is failing that park 5 ft away from curbs . >:D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,571 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,571 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Everytime I park, especially when parking head first, I purposely park "short" & take time to check the front, side and rear clearance of the vehicle.
Special attention and awareness are exercised if the parking spot has concrete "stops".

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
I don't understand the need for any parking assists on one of the smallest cars on the road, just stop 1'-2' extra away, and you are still shorter than a lot of other cars. Admittedly I never park on the street, only in parking lots, and I hunt for an end spot to suck up against something to allow more room for the other side.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All

Well I did mine on the way home from picking the car up on my very first drive & about fours time after that , got it repaired & lasted about another four month reversed off drive & ran over the wheely bin wheel (still not repaired) . But as you have said its normally right under the bumper & can not be seen .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,175 Posts

Done it as well (2x) - also scraped the front bumper corner coming out of a parking garage because I forgot how long the nose is. Luckily it is only cosmetic and easy to fix.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
599 Posts
When we bought Stirling surtees the previous owner had damaged the front skirt which the garage fixed.
im not a fan of park assist as myk said but am getting a camera when funds allow. First need to fix my wheels since I'm an idiot and fudged them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Curb Alert Pro- Best investment for a '55. Better than a wind restrictor IMHO. Both valuable. But the former, invaluable.

That is, I wish I had gotten my curb alert before I picked up a wind restrictor. It would have saved me a $500 bumper repair bill after my brother-in-law returned from a joy ride.

You'll easily embrace the occasional beep or two when near a no worries speed bump or a dip in the road. Especially after you've shelled out for a nose repair or two caused by a parking bumper you happened to forget about...

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
One for me too... even now after 5 years I still catch the odd curb (so far mine have just been paint damage - no cracks...)

I'll be extra careful when the facelifted bumper goes on !!

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,175 Posts
I wonder how many the long nose and low ride height has caught out :smile: It got me 2x I'm my SLK but I am forewarned now. In my current ride there must be 18" of nose that I cannot see (and I'm tall) ant that was similar in the SLK. With the options I chose in my current ride, I can raise the car by 2" for speed bumps etc and it is proving pretty useful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.