Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all...

Well, the wait is almost over ...

The replacement headunit has arrived, and so far, all I've done is un-installed the current Alpine IVA-505R along with the Navigation and Blue tooth modules ...

As per usual, more pics to follow, but for now, I'm left with a fairly large hole in the dash ....

Stay tuned - more to follow!!

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,973 Posts
I thought I was being brave attempting to fit a couple of rear lights. You da man. Good luck with the new install. :tu:

BTW That photo looks like you left your car parked in one of our more dubious inner city areas. :grin:

Reactions: Col and Seanhump

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Davie ..

Wiring wise, it's pretty much a one for one swap, but I'll be doing a bit of tidying up as more modules have been removed than are being re-installed, and the new head unit has a couple more auxilary inputs, so I can wire my crash cam directly to it, instead of through the TV tuner ...

The fun bit is the size of the new screen

Side by side pics to follow shortly ...

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Thanks Davie ..

Wiring wise, it's pretty much a one for one swap, but I'll be doing a bit of tidying up as more modules have been removed than are being re-installed, and the new head unit has a couple more auxilary inputs, so I can wire my crash cam directly to it, instead of through the TV tuner ...

The fun bit is the size of the new screen

Side by side pics to follow shortly ...
C'mon Sean you've had enough time for shortly :grin:

I would like to replace mine, but :confused:

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So ...

It's in ... and, in typical MB fashion, things are either dead easy or a royal pain in the .....

As promised, sisde by side pics of the old and new headunits, and one of the new one installed

I'll get better pics tomorrow as daylight was fading fast.

In a nutshell, the new head units is the Alpine IVA-W928R - the one with the 8inch screen

It's fine electrically, though I had a snag with the phone mic and one of the auxillary inputs not playing nicely, but managed to get that all sorted ..

Due to the size of the screen (the body is the standard 'double din' fitting, I had to get creative with the mounting kit - I've not yet found one for the 171SLK, though there are kits for other MB's - the A B and Vito, for example.... I'm not 100% happy with the fit at the moment, and I'll need to sort out a suitable fasci panel (I have a temporary 'dremmelled' one in there as of now...), but its about 95% done ...

The screen goes pretty much from the bottom of the cubby to the top of the upper control panel - it's BIG ..

More pics tomorrow - just a quick update for now

Attachments

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
The fascia board looks "acceptable" from the photo (although the image is a bit "grainy").
Are there features in the 8-inch model that is not present in the 7-inch (other than display area). Does it function and load a lot faster because of better processor and RAM? Is the resolution 4k? :grin:

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So .. A quick sum up of the differences...

(Though the main reason for the change is the screen size ....!)

The replacement does all of the usual stuff ..

FM radio with RDS
iPod input with control (the previous heads unit had a dedicated iPod input AND a USB one, allowing connection of two devices at the same time - with this one it's either or ...)
DVD / CD playback. Grounding the handbrake sense wire allows for playback in motion, same as the previous one
Aux inputs - two this time so I have the TV tuner on one, and the output from the dash cam on the other
Reverse camera inputs - two on this one, configurable for front or rear use and with an onscreen parking guide overlay

Touch screen operation, along with remote control (again, the same, though why you want to use a remote in a small car is beyond me!!)
4x50 watts of internal amplification - as before, I'm outputting straight to my off board amps
Integrated Nav and Bluetooth instead of using add on modules

One of the crucial things here is the support for Alpines vehicle display adapter - this gives steering wheel control AND uses the display on the upper MFD for song names, caller id, radio stations etc etc, just like the stock stuff does

Function wise, the screen is higher resolution, and has the updated icons & menus, plus the ability to split the display into two sections - Nav on one side and the source in use on the other - sort of gimmicky, but fairly neat

Updated Nav with 3D buildings (though I think the old Nav module did that too)
All sorts of poi features, route planning updates etc etc- still finding out about these
TMC for over the air traffic announcements and re-routing (no difference here - the old one does this)

Audio wise, the sound is as good, and there are a few features I've not delved into yet
Parametric EQ
Media expander (supposed to make compressed music files and radio sound better)
Time correction (read a lot about this so looking forward to playing with this feature. I've almost bought the alpine imprint off board processor a few times, and this has it all built in)

There are changes to the phone operation, and the address book can be used for navigation too, plus Bluetooth audio is still there if I need it.
A handy feature for those who have others who use the car is a profile system that remembers your settings and favourites based on which mobile has been connected - a bit like key dependency for seat and mirror positions...

I'm out later, so I'll have more time to mess around - I've been through the manual a few times, but it's not the same as actually fiddling with it !!!!

Should get some daylight pics too - as Ed says , the fascia is acceptable for now

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few daylight pics

The fascia kit comes apart, so the only bit that needs visible mods (the brackets are hidden behind this) is this (alreaady trimmed with a dremmel)

Its 'ok', but I trimmed too much off, and it's not as straight or tidy as I'd like acreoss the top - the dremmel is a fun tool to use!!

Options are - buy another mounting kit (£30) for the cover, and modify correctly this time

Make something up - difficult to get the same finish as the rest of the dash, and the Connects2 kit match very well

Get the mounting kit for the headunit, but for a B Class (Alpine don't make one for the R171) - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-kit-8mb-mercedes-a-b-vito-viano-fitting-kit-black - but all I need is the fascia part.

Already spoken to Connect2 - they don't do the fasica for their kit as a single bit (shame), and the B Class kit is for the whole unit , but the fascia is cut out correctly. No idead if the headunit in a B Class is the same external size as the SLK, so maybe a trip to the main dealer is in order, along with a tape measure!!

What ever I do, the head unit needs to come forward about 5mm, and then what ever 'kit' I end up with for the fascia will be flush with the sides.

I'll also swap over the ipod cable for a USB extension cable - that way I can swap the storage devices over, and update the splash screen with the MB Comand logo ...

All in all, its a good fit, fills the space well and lines up a but better with the buttons on the upper control panel below!

Stay tuned

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not happy with the finish of the fascia ...

Templates made, replacment 171 kit ordered ...

Normal service will be resumed shortly ..

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Not happy with the finish of the fascia ...

Templates made, replacment 171 kit ordered ...

Normal service will be resumed shortly ..
When using the motor tool or making cuts, it is best to use clamps (to hold the fascia piece so it doesn't move) and more clamps to hold the metal straight edge as guide. You may even choose to score or mark from the back side (inner surface) of the fascia and err on the side of making the opening 0.5 mm smaller. Thereafter you can gradually enlarge the opening in very small increments using a jeweler's file or similar tool. You may elect to protect the outer surface with masking tape (2 layers) during the process as well.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Eddy ...

V2 will be a lot better, for sure!!

Reactions: etyu

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided to go with this fascia plate this time Connects2 Ltd

Having had a helpful conversation with Connects2, this one looks like it lends it'self more to what I need. There should be very little (if any) that needs removing from the top of the fascia, a small amount from the internal sides, and a trim to remove a small amount at the bottom, but only the visible bit, leaving the bottom of the fascia still joined up where it goes 'behind' the headunit buttons

Only a tenner too ...

Attachments

Reactions: curro101

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the bits on show that take the time to get right ..... and if they're not then you'll always end up noticing them!!

Reactions: DAVIETHESCAFF

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,856 Posts
I thought I was being brave attempting to fit a couple of rear lights. You da man. Good luck with the new install. :tu:

BTW That photo looks like you left your car parked in one of our more dubious inner city areas. :grin:
If there's one thing Nottingham's got a lot of it's dubious areas! :laugh:

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it's in

The fascia arrived today, and was duly set to with a tape measure and the dremmel...

It's better, but not 100%

This one will do whilst I decide exactly how to get a perfect finish ...

Apologes for the mess - the pic was taken half way through putting things back together.

The next dilema - MB or AMG startup screen ...?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.