Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered 2004 SLK200
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed an aftermarket Head Unit (Seicane I think, but no name on it :) ). It came with Optic fiber decoder and CAN-bus-decoder. So far everything is working now, but I have two problems left:
1. I have no connection to the steeringwheel-buttons.
2. The Antenna amplifier in the boot does not wake up at all.
I think that both has something to do with the CAN-bus-decoder. And here is my question: From the CAN-bus-decoder there are a multiconnector that goes to the new head unit. But there are also two thin wires (green and green/black) that ends in a small two-pin connector. There is nowhere to connect these two wires.
Any ideas?

Premium Member 2008 SLK350
I have installed an aftermarket Head Unit (Seicane I think, but no name on it :) ). It came with Optic fiber decoder and CAN-bus-decoder. So far everything is working now, but I have two problems left:
I think that both has something to do with the CAN-bus-decoder. And here is my question: From the CAN-bus-decoder there are a multiconnector that goes to the new head unit. But there are also two thin wires (green and green/black) that ends in a small two-pin connector. There is nowhere to connect these two wires.
Any ideas?
Canbus decoder translates can messages to something your radio understands. The 2 thin wires that are now not connected need to be connected to the interior canbus of your car.

Atenna amp problem has nothing to do with this. Original radio activates the amp with a seperate wire. From memory,wire is blue. You need to supply switched 12 V to this wire.

Several threads about these 2 things. Search is your friend. 馃槈

Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
On your Seicane, you should have a mini plug connector labelled CAN H. This needs to be connected. If you have the long Seicane loom which would go to the footwell amp there is a similar pair of green wires in a plug. I had to improvise using two needles to connect both female sockets together. That said although I have the Canbus decoder I do not have the Most interface so I'm wondering if yours is different since my head unit would not even power up without these connected?

Here's a pic of my selection of wires Seicane provided.

Registered 2004 SLK200
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi all
I still have not found anywhere to hook up the two thin cables from the CAN-bus-decoder that came with my new head unit. I now know that they must be connected somehow to the CAN-bus, but where? And best of all not too far from the head unit.
The original head unit only had two connectors: the antenna cable and a small connector with 2 fiber-optic cables and a 4-pin connector. Only pin 1 (red/red) = +12v, pin 2 (black) = ground and pin 3 (purple) = 12v permanent. Pin 4 was not connected.
On installing the new head unit the fiber-optic cables are now connected to the new fiber-optic-decoder, that came with the new head-unit and only pin 1 and 2 (+12v and ground) are connected to the unit.
Everything on the new head-unit works OK except that there is no connection to the steering wheel buttons, and that is of course because the two thin wires (green and green/black) from the new CAN-bus-decoder is not connected to the CAN-bus. BUT WHERE TO CONNECT?

Super Moderator (UK)
Any ideas?
Hi all
I still have not found anywhere to hook up the two thin cables from the CAN-bus-decoder that came with my new head unit. I now know that they must be connected somehow to the CAN-bus, but where? And best of all not too far from the head unit.
The original head unit only had two connectors: the antenna cable and a small connector with 2 fiber-optic cables and a 4-pin connector. Only pin 1 (red/red) = +12v, pin 2 (black) = ground and pin 3 (purple) = 12v permanent. Pin 4 was not connected.
On installing the new head unit the fiber-optic cables are now connected to the new fiber-optic-decoder, that came with the new head-unit and only pin 1 and 2 (+12v and ground) are connected to the unit.
Everything on the new head-unit works OK except that there is no connection to the steering wheel buttons, and that is of course because the two thin wires (green and green/black) from the new CAN-bus-decoder is not connected to the CAN-bus. BUT WHERE TO CONNECT?
@mike350 @Trev5 @efair

Premium Member 2008 SLK350
Hi all
Nearest place to connect to the CAN is A/C control unit or UCP (the one with the hazard switch).Search for 2 thin wires 1 brown,1brown/red. Brown/red is CANH,the other one CANL. Don't mix tyhem up. See in the instructions that came with the decoder which one (green or green/black is CANH and CANL). It is a bus system so you can splice them with the original CAN wires. But preferably you should connect them in a proper way to the CAN distributor X30/5 or X30/6. Near the left doorsill (driver side LHD) under the carpet. See instructions for installing a Smart Top how they look and how to access.
HTH and good luck!

Registered 2004 SLK200
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sneaky Pete
That made the trick. Everything works OK now. Steering wheel buttons volume up and down, phone calls and answering phone calls etc. And the screen on the head unit now shows when left door is open, right door is open, trunk lid is open. And the back-camera now operates when gear stick is in reverse without ignition on (ignition key in acc-posttion).
Thank you very much for your help :)

Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
I've got the notion to fit something similar. Would it be too cheeky to ask what you paid for your system and where you bought it? Don't know if it is a route I want to go down but this info would help me make my mind up. Cheers.

Super Moderator (UK)
I've got the notion to fit something similar. Would it be too cheeky to ask what you paid for your system and where you bought it? Don't know if it is a route I want to go down but this info would help me make my mind up. Cheers.
Worth mentioning a member if a question is directed to someone specific.
Simply put '@' immediately in front of username.

I will mention them for you.

@15-eren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts