Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, I drive a 2003 SLK230 and I installed a Pioneer HU...Everything is working great my only problem is the HU just basically falls into the slot...Nothing is holding it or keeping it from moving around and it gets a bit annoying when I'm trying to press buttons on it and what not. I for some reason can't for the life of me figure out what to do...I don't think I can take the stock bracket off and I don't see any kind of bracket or whatever online...When I watch videos I see people that basically skip that step like there was no issue at all. Any help would be great. For the record I didn't order any kit or anything, I just spliced all the wires (yea dumb I know..) I was in a hurry and didn't wanna wait for any kit to arrive. Thanks in advance!

If the headunit is not either a becker, blaupunkt or phillips unit you need to use the cage supplied with the HU to secure it in position, otherwise everytime you go over a bump the cd will skip and you could damage the laser assembly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I looked up your car on "crutchfield" and they stated [for a Pioneer HU]
Installation Details for your 2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible

• This item fits your vehicle
  • An installation kit is not required to install your new receiver.
  • The Crutchfield harness allows you to use the factory amp(s). In order to retain fading abilities, the new radio must have front and rear preamp outputs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks, I tried using the cage but it didn't fit in there. I suppose I'll just try to see if I can get it to fit...I don't ever listen to cds because I just use my iPhone. Thanks for the help though
I've just put a Sony into my 2001 but did a bit different with the wiring . . . Can't say I'm that impressed with the Crutchfield's "fit" criteria, (and their "generalize" installation guidelines, though they are usually correct to a point) nor with the DIN standard the way it's utilized. (I can buy ANYONE's dvd/BD/CD drive and slip it right in and have it latch securely to my PC. . . Why can't we do the same with car radios??)

On the sleeve provided by Sony, there are numerous tabs that need to be "expanded" once the sleeve is in the slot. This is pretty crude for my tastes, but it does hold the unit reasonably securely if not totally square to the console face.

Once I was happy with the rest of the install, I slid the sleeve in the console slot and then, with a screw driver tip, pushed the tabs outward on all 4 sides. I would also consider building up a little bumper pad along the back edge of the console slot (and perhaps under the back of the sleeve a little - I'm trying duct tape) to help support the back end of the HU and keeping it squarer to the console face.

I would hope that the sleeve you have would have some similar features. (?)

Hope that might help. :Beer:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.