Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I recently bought an 09 SLK300 in black. Coming from an S2000 it's a completely different car but I'm loving it as they say.

My car appears to have an NTG2.5 with the disc changer in the head unit and the SD card slot above the CD slot. Not the Harman Kardon flavour, which I believe means it doesn't use fibre optics - is that correct?

My problem is I've read so much and thought at one point I knew where I was but the more I read the less convinced I am that I actually do know where I am.

I'm looking to replace the head unit and have some questions please:

Will the Dynavin N6 be a straight forward replacement?

If so does it use the head unit amp or one in the car?

Is this the best way to go? - There are lots of head units that appear as though they can be fitted using a fascia kit and some adapters.

Thanks in anticipation from the UK!

Colin

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
You're in luck..

The NTG 2.5 is easy to swap out as there isn't an audio gateway in the passenger footwell.

It'll be down to personal preference as to the headunit you end up with (I prefer Alpine for example), and most need a fascia and wiring kit' unlike the Chinese S100 / 150 / 160 for example.

No AGW means that you'll use the amp in your new headunit, or an off board one if you add one as well.

You'll need a wiring kit to interface to the quad lock connector that's in the car, and most brands offer steering wheel control boxes as part of the kit so you can still use the volume buttons etc on the wheel

·
*Registered
2013 SLK350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick and informative reply Sean.

Am I correct in thinking a kit such as this would allow me to add a head unit of my choice and still keep the steering wheel controls when I choose the appropriate lead for the head unit manufacturer?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ins...mercedes-slk-r171-2006-radio-installation-kit

Do the current speaker wires go all the way to the head unit already if there is no AWG?

I think I was a little more concerned and tempted than I should have been by the N6 with it's OEM style surround/buttons etc but the fascia and adaptor route is looking more tempting now.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Thanks for the quick and informative reply Sean.

Am I correct in thinking a kit such as this would allow me to add a head unit of my choice and still keep the steering wheel controls when I choose the appropriate lead for the head unit manufacturer?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ins...mercedes-slk-r171-2006-radio-installation-kit

Do the current speaker wires go all the way to the head unit already if there is no AWG?

I think I was a little more concerned and tempted than I should have been by the N6 with it's OEM style surround/buttons etc but the fascia and adaptor route is looking more tempting now.
Yes to both of your q's - the fascia's are pretty good - the finish on mine is the same as the panels above and below, so in terms of head unit, the choice is yours

Reactions: ColinBayley

·
*Registered
2013 SLK350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pioneer head unit and fascia kit ordered, along with a couple of other toys.

I'll let yo know how I get on when it arrives and is fitted - or earlier if I run into any problems!

·
*Registered
2013 SLK350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO it's in and working! Mostly.

I had to modify the harness in the adaptor kit. First of all i could not get the unit to work and then discovered the chassis had +12v on it. Harness rewire sorted this out.
Secondly, only the front centre speaker was working. Harness rewire sorted this out.
DAB, GPS and Mic all work, as does Android Auto etc.
At the moment the steering wheel controls do not work and I have yet to find the VSS wire for the nav. This is a Connects2 interface.

Amp ordered for a bit more headroom. This is not really required but hey-ho :)

Does the clock still get a signal to set the correct time if the battery is disconnected and reconnected?

The head unit itself is a nice toy. The 'over the speed limit nag is just that - a nag. Voice alert for that is now switched off although the visual warning could be useful.

Cheers,

Colin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.