Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bought two GPS receivers from this firm and been highly pleased both times. Prices are competitive with other on-line stores and service is great. I have no relationship with the company except as a satisfied return customer.

gpsdiscount.com

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have been more specific. I am talking about the type GPS unit that hangs onb the windscreen, sits on the dash board and/or attaches to a motorcycle.

Based on experience(s), I will not pay extra for a factory installed (in dash) GPS again.

hey fellow texan,

i wasn't aware that you could install Nav on your car? what's the price/labor like? is it worth it?

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I agree on the aftermarket GPS.....the portability is a great going from one vehicle to another and the cost so minimal they are almost throw away. Very easily updated online too!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
So, what GPS are you using now? I agree with the aftermarket GPS theory as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, what GPS are you using now? I agree with the aftermarket GPS theory as well.
I hesitate to even answer for fear that this will start an endless listing. <g> There are almost enough [good] choices for each of us to have and be thrilled with a different one. I have a ZUMO 550 and a NUVI 1490 LMT that I move around, even using one of them in the 2010 E350 rather than the built in installed by D-B. I've had three built in GPS receivers and the D-B installation is by far the worst, IMO.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree. The factory MB GPS is not good at all. A simple Garmin is way better.

I hesitate to even answer for fear that this will start an endless listing. <g> There are almost enough [good] choices for each of us to have and be thrilled with a different one. I have a ZUMO 550 and a NUVI 1490 LMT that I move around, even using one of them in the 2010 E350 rather than the built in installed by D-B. I've had three built in GPS receivers and the D-B installation is by far the worst, IMO.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I'm using a Garmin wide screen model which was about 140$ at Best Buy. It does traffic alerts and all sorts of stuff. Still learning about all the options and tricks...I especially enjoy the quickest route feature and Samantha with the British accent....keeps me alert!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
506 Posts
My GPS mount

I guess I should have been more specific. I am talking about the type GPS unit that hangs onb the windscreen, sits on the dash board and/or attaches to a motorcycle.

Based on experience(s), I will not pay extra for a factory installed (in dash) GPS again.
See my GPS mount... and yes the cup holder works as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey, that is a good place to mount the GPS. Thanks.

I never thought about that place. I will try this on my SLk280. But on my SLk55 AMG I don't think I can do it due to the LCD screen with the built in NAV unit.

See my GPS mount... and yes the cup holder works as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.