Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my projects is to replace the head unit. I read the install sticky but have a question. It appears that the head unit really acts as a pre-amp and the on board power amps power all the speakers? If this is correct, the power output rating of the head unit doesn't matter as you're really just using line level signal into the bose? Please let me know if I have this correct. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just did a head unit replacement on my '02. I am assuming you have a BOSE system that you are working with. If so, you actually will have a noticeable difference depending on your new head unit.
In my case, the pre-amp puts had more power than the factory unit, thus the amp responds with less effort.
In the BOSE amp, just as in their home satellite speaker system, they use the amp as the cross over, and only require the left and right line inputs. You will find if you fade your system to the rear only, the speakers behind the seats will shut down, because the amp will only feed them at the db range it is designed for. Thus the speakers that are wired to the outputs of the amp respond to specific db ranges and give you the full range of sound.
I would also recommend that if you head unit has a loudness control, that you keep it off, since the loudness control is designed to give you full range of sound at low volume, but can tend to distort when you crank it up and being a convertible, that is often.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
41 Posts
I just installed a Clarion unit in mine. While you can purchase units from many places, I've found that Crutchfield is a great vendor. They have a wide variety of units, but more importantly their units come with all the adapters and special tools needed to remove your current unit and plug in the new one. In addition to that, they have super knowledgeable tech people you can call and actually talk to if you have questions.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed a Clarion unit in mine. While you can purchase units from many places, I've found that Crutchfield is a great vendor. They have a wide variety of units, but more importantly their units come with all the adapters and special tools needed to remove your current unit and plug in the new one. In addition to that, they have super knowledgeable tech people you can call and actually talk to if you have questions.
Thanks Flag. I ordered from them lastnight. I had a couple questions about preamp output power and they were pretty helpful. The whole bose system is more than a bit wonky and If I was really motivated, I'd pull the whole thing and put something really decent in but I just don't have the inclination or time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.