Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BY buying tyres recommended by Mercedes What benefit do I get, with all the rain we get I was thinking of Uniroyal RainSport 3

·
Registered NO SLK LISTED
1,903 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the best all-round wet, dry, economy and longevity tyre. Other tyres may be better in one area but the PSS are the best all-rounders. Whether it's worth the price premium to you is something only you can answer.

Toyo did a deal with Audi to supply the tyres on the RS models and despite people bitching and moaning like crazy before they took delivery, very few people actually changed them after delivery. Because they were quite good.

I've run Kumho in the past when they came on a set of used wheels I bought and they were actually very good. Most of the major tyre brands also manufacture something a bit cheaper. Barum, Kleber, BFGoodrich and Kormoran are all sub-brands of Michelin. Marangoni and Ceat are brands of Pirelli and Goodyear, Fulda and Falken are all owned by Dunlop. The Uniroyal brand is owned by Continental in Europe and Michelin in the Americas. Go figure! I think as long as you avoid the super-cheap Chinese/Taiwanese tyres you'll be fine.

·
Registered NO SLK LISTED
1,903 Posts
Sorry, I complete missed the bit about M0 Mercedes tyres. They are ostensibly the same as any other tyres in the manufacturers range but they can. Have a slightly harder or softer compound that may suit the noise/vibration/harshness characteristics of the brand they are designed for.

Personally, I don't bother with it.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Sorry, I complete missed the bit about M0 Mercedes tyres. They are ostensibly the same as any other tyres in the manufacturers range but they can. Have a slightly harder or softer compound that may suit the noise/vibration/harshness characteristics of the brand they are designed for.

Personally, I don't bother with it.
I don't bother on the SLK now. I ran Continental Sport Contact 5s (3 sets) in MO fitment on the back of the SLK350 and they were pretty bad, particularly in colder weather. I now have Bridgestone Potenza S001s (without MO badging) on the back and everything is lovely. No more tail-wagging like an over-excited puppy. Now it just grips.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,867 Posts
BY buying tyres recommended by Mercedes What benefit do I get, with all the rain we get I was thinking of Uniroyal RainSport 3
I had them on a slk 200 and they last 11 months. Good tires but short life. I have now nexen n'fera su4 on the front and nexen n'fera su1 on back, excellent tires for the price and i like to floor it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.