Apologies if this is a repeat but after trawling the forums I couldn't find the answer to my specific questions (please feel free to direct me to the right place if I am wrong).
I am looking at changing out my Audio 20 for a sat nav / blue tooth etc unit (I am not looking at the Chinese products, although I know there is a very lengthy thread regarding those (also seems to be for R171s). I would also like to maintain steering wheel functionality (including BT phone).
I am looking at most likely the Pioneer unit Pioneer AVICF970DAB but have some queries regarding fibre optics and the OEM amp.
Upon looking into installation, I was told that a new amp would be required if the Audio 20 uses the fibre optics to the amp.
So first question - does the Audio 20 in my particular model use the fibre optics?
2) If it does not, should this just essentially be a plug and play installation (I won't be doing it myself, those who have read my intro email no why).
3) If it does, what impact will there be on the sound if I just bypass the amp and use the internal amp in headunit?
4) Are there any installers in Sydney, you would recommend (I have been quoted from $1.3K - $8K including head unit ($8K is to change the amp as well).
5) Is there any advice anyone can offer with regards to units (other than the one I have listed).
6) Any general advice or pitfalls to avoid?
Apologies for the lengthy post, but I am interested in getting the best bang for my buck.