Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was able to replace the APS 50 of my SLK 200 (from 2006) with a chinese S160 unit. The unit is working, in my first tests today, but I have some issues. I wanted to know if problems are normal or there is a solution. Please help me.

Problems:

The car system clock, it's not changing when I change the time in the S160, this is a pity. Change are needed for DTS twice a year. I cannot use the APS 50 because it's already removed. I did not find that is possible with the s/wheel.

In Navigation, the central little display of the car shows only "NAVI" nothing else. In telephone is not showing anything, perhaps some dashes -----

I appreciate if you tell me that those issues are normal or some solution please.

The extension cable I bought connects the quadlock of the S160 with speakers in passenger footwell, the AGW was removed, it was using fiber but not anymore, the S160 cable has a module which I understand it has to do with CAN BUS, it seems to be a wireless thing, but I have no idea what it is.

Thank you very much
Raiky

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Search is your friend... :D

Check-out this thread, as it has lots of useful info and experience from others that have installed the S160:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/259921-s160-chinese-headunit-mini-review.html
It looks like the MFD (multi function display) experience you've described is normal for that unit.

And see post 12 here for comment on setting the clock:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-ge...tem-aftermarket-replacement-analog-clock.html
You'll need someone with STAR/DAS to tweak the car's settings to enable a menu option within the steering wheel controls to allow you to set the car's clock that way, now that you've removed the Comand head unit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, well, at least it's good to see I'm not alone.
@loschiquiprecios: how is your extension cable? Do you know where you bought it?
@dbgrn: I did search of course, unfortunately what I found was not really a solution. But now I focused in that number 12 you sent me (thanks for links) and it opened me some windows :) Then I read somewhere else similar things, basically the operation is to have someone (dealer) to tweak/change the system (with STAR Diagnostics). The cluster configuration for audio needs to be changed, now is still APS 50, I'm not sure which is the specific change but for sure there is something. Based on some post, I understood it was very cheap like $30, which I think a mercedes technician does in 10 min.

Anyway, I'm still listening here for some solutions which I can apply without going to dealer and spending money.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is very similar to that one, although I bought it in Germany. That module in the picture is the same. I guess that is the module that connects with canbus wirelessly?

Well, as i said, I will be visiting Mercedes and ask if they can change that cluster information in onboard computer from APS 50 audio to somewhere else.

R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.