Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 4 years of ownership in my AMG 250cdi Sport, I have gone for the AMG SLC 43

I dont know why there are so many negative reviews on this car?

Always trying to compare a Boxster or a Cayman, etc, etc

I have had 12 PORSCHE's in the past.. 964's, 993's, 996's, Boxster S, Cayman S, etc and could faults and positives in all of them!!, and the modern versions don't excite me either!

Each to their own.........

I went for a long test drive in a 2017 model, and collect next Friday; I will post some pictures afterwards !

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,164 Posts
Well after 4 years of ownership in my AMG 250cdi Sport, I have gone for the AMG SLC 43

I dont know why there are so many negative reviews on this car?

Always trying to compare a Boxster or a Cayman, etc, etc

I have had 12 PORSCHE's in the past.. 964's, 993's, 996's, Boxster S, Cayman S, etc and could faults and positives in all of them!!, and the modern versions don't excite me either!

Each to their own.........

I went for a long test drive in a 2017 model, and collect next Friday; I will post some pictures afterwards !
Well congratulations then :Beer:

BUT now I must ask: did you trade the 250 (in your profile) or do you now have two cars?

If traded, please delete the 250 and add the 43.

OR if you have two, be sure to add the 43.

Happy driving :grin: :rb

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well congratulations then :Beer:

BUT now I must ask: did you trade the 250 (in your profile) or do you now have two cars?

If traded, please delete the 250 and add the 43.

OR if you have two, be sure to add the 43.

Happy driving :grin: :rb
Haha I will add the 43 when I collect it next Friday 0:)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
A splendid choice Mark, especially considering your experience with Porsche in the past.
I too have pondered such a change from my 250d but haven't done anything about it yet.
Looking forward to the pics,

Check the limited slip differential has had its first year oil change!
David

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A splendid choice Mark, especially considering your experience with Porsche in the past.
I too have pondered such a change from my 250d but haven't done anything about it yet.
Looking forward to the pics,

Check the limited slip differential has had its first year oil change!
David

Hi David,

After seeing the LSD oil change on the forums , I have asked the dealer to ensure it has been done, the car has only done 4700 miles

I found an article on the web which shows the colour of he car I have purchased

https://s3.paultan.org/image/2016/04/Mercedes-Benz-SLC-43-Nice-45-1200x529.jpg

I was worried about the matte paint finish but decided to go with it!

Besides the standard spec it has COMAND, Harmon Karon, Dual Climate, Electric Seat Pack, Lane Assist and a few more I cannot remember LOL

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
184 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
I've had one for two years and 18000 miles now , great little car , does everything you'll ever want and shows a clean pair of heels to a lot of cars the that reviewers wouldn't believe it can around the Nurburgring , even in my hands , most of the people who knock them haven't driven one ! Enjoy the new purchase , I keep looking at the Porsche range , up the Mercedes range , occasionally consider the boring 4wd option of audis regardless of the amazing 0 - 60 mph but can't bring myself to jump ship . Every time I use my 43 it brings a smile to my face , none of the options would , the 43 is old fashioned fun and all the better for it .

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had one for two years and 18000 miles now , great little car , does everything you'll ever want and shows a clean pair of heels to a lot of cars the that reviewers wouldn't believe it can around the Nurburgring , even in my hands , most of the people who knock them haven't driven one ! Enjoy the new purchase , I keep looking at the Porsche range , up the Mercedes range , occasionally consider the boring 4wd option of audis regardless of the amazing 0 - 60 mph but can't bring myself to jump ship . Every time I use my 43 it brings a smile to my face , none of the options would , the 43 is old fashioned fun and all the better for it .

Thanks Paul

Yes this will only be my 2nd Mercedes, and it would have been too easy for mt to go back to the PORSCHE brand, but they don't really excite me like the old air cooled variants, yes I know times move on and all that..

I couldn't believe so many negatives reviews, I had a great test drive on varied roads and really enjoyed it

Its a 2017 reg, with 4.7K miles on it and a Christmas Tree Spec LOl...... the guy must have spend a fortune on it !!

I can't wait for Friday :grin:

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
46 Posts
Hi David,

After seeing the LSD oil change on the forums , I have asked the dealer to ensure it has been done, the car has only done 4700 miles

I found an article on the web which shows the colour of he car I have purchased

https://s3.paultan.org/image/2016/04/Mercedes-Benz-SLC-43-Nice-45-1200x529.jpg

I was worried about the matte paint finish but decided to go with it!

Besides the standard spec it has COMAND, Harmon Karon, Dual Climate, Electric Seat Pack, Lane Assist and a few more I cannot remember LOL

Cheers

Mark

I have similar options. Mango Grey - Red Art Edition. The paint is tough. Does not scratch. All you need is (.. see below) and your car will look like new for ever. Go for it.

Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
Click for larger image and other views

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Meticulous_Matte_Detailer_1_Gal_p/spi_995.htmhttp://www.chemicalguys.com/Meticulous_Matte_Detailer_1_Gal_p/spi_995.htm

More Photos
Chemical Guys SPI_995 - Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,164 Posts
I have similar options. Mango Grey - Red Art Edition. The paint is tough. Does not scratch. All you need is (.. see below) and your car will look like new for ever. Go for it.

Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
Click for larger image and other views

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Meticulous_Matte_Detailer_1_Gal_p/spi_995.htmhttp://www.chemicalguys.com/Meticulous_Matte_Detailer_1_Gal_p/spi_995.htm

More Photos
Chemical Guys SPI_995 - Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
Pics don't show for me

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
46 Posts
Just search for Chemical Guys - Meticulous Matte Detailer in Amazon (1 Gal) @ 40$ and you are all set for few years. You can only clean Matte finish and coat it with very light uv protector. Taking care of Matte car is easier vs. compared to my other cars - where you have to clean and polish. ( Polish takes a longest time). It is a myth that this type of finish is expensive to maintain. I would avoid direct exposure to sun for very long duration if possible. The color will fade as it does not have the extra layer of clear coat to protect from UV. Also bird poop can do some damage if not washed for weeks - as the acid in the poop will eat your paint (again with no clear coat to protect). But damage form little stones kicked back from tires are actually less at the paint is tough as nail. Very hard to scratch. I have read that MB actually spend considerable effort to get the hardness right for these type of paint by mixing it with just right amount of silica. The down side of that is - during painting process the car has be finished painting in a very small time frame before the paint hardens and steaks starts to show. If the paint job goes bad - there is not too many option to fix it. The part is a write off. Hence this is such an expensive option. The other down side is - body shop will not be able to color match the paint 100%. If you apply one less coat or one more coat the color tone changes. So even if you have the same exact paint - the thickness of application has to match with factory. Hard for a body shop to do.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Just search for Chemical Guys - Meticulous Matte Detailer in Amazon (1 Gal) @ 40$ and you are all set for few years. You can only clean Matte finish and coat it with very light uv protector. Taking care of Matte car is easier vs. compared to my other cars - where you have to clean and polish. ( Polish takes a longest time). It is a myth that this type of finish is expensive to maintain. I would avoid direct exposure to sun for very long duration if possible. The color will fade as it does not have the extra layer of clear coat to protect from UV. Also bird poop can do some damage if not washed for weeks - as the acid in the poop will eat your paint (again with no clear coat to protect). But damage form little stones kicked back from tires are actually less at the paint is tough as nail. Very hard to scratch. I have read that MB actually spend considerable effort to get the hardness right for these type of paint by mixing it with just right amount of silica. The down side of that is - during painting process the car has be finished painting in a very small time frame before the paint hardens and steaks starts to show. If the paint job goes bad - there is not too many option to fix it. The part is a write off. Hence this is such an expensive option. The other down side is - body shop will not be able to color match the paint 100%. If you apply one less coat or one more coat the color tone changes. So even if you have the same exact paint - the thickness of application has to match with factory. Hard for a body shop to do.

Blimey I think I'd avoid matte/matt like the plague or go for a wrap & save all the worry & faffing about.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
130 Posts
Congratulations Mark on your very well spec'd purchase.

You are now a member of the AMG 43 club.

Enjoy your pick up and drive home.

Regards

Tom

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations Mark on your very well spec'd purchase.

You are now a member of the AMG 43 club.

Enjoy your pick up and drive home.

Regards

Tom

Thanks Tom

I had a good trip out in it today, great car

Going back to the dealers tomorrow just for a few minor details to be sorted

The matte paintwork is going to be a pain, but looks great

cheers

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So some pictures as promised, will take some better ones when I am out and about in a better setting :)

Do you think I should leave the model designation and decals deleted as the previous had or put them back on, opinions welcomed

Great drive and power, I really don't know what the issue is with people who review them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,820 Posts
Love the finish and colour, and personally I'd leave the model designation etc. off as it looks good as is. :tu:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
712 Posts
Congratulations, looks great.

I was a Honda S2000 nut and before buying my SLK350 I thought about a Boxer, but they don’t do it for me. I had driven my of them as an instructor for the Porsche club. My S2000 friends thought I was a little off my rocker, until I took them for rides. I really love the SLK as a tourer and a back roads carver.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts