Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Thought I'd ask you what you thought about wrapping my car in satin pearl white wrap from 3M. I'll attach some pictures of the wrap on other cars and wanted to let you guys know that I would be installing it myself if I would go ahead with the wrap. I crunched some numbers and found that it would be about $400 worth of material without labor. I'd also like to point out that my car is currently in metallic brilliant silver and I want to protect my original paint while maintaining a nice balance of clean and aggressive look for my car. Also, I want to change my rims from stock SLK32 rims to 2004 E55 rims. Lemme know your ideas, I'd love to hear feedback!

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,085 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
contrary to what jbanks has said. i know a car in my area that has been 3m wrapped for two years now, and has had no issues with peeling, ripping or any other issues. in agreeance with what he said though, if you're looking to protect your paint, this is not the route to go. yes it does cover your paint, but it's not designed to be a protectant.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,085 Posts
Hee hee, you live in Va. He is in LA! :D

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,189 Posts
Discussed a wrap with a friend who does it for a living. Decided not to. Also bought a clear bra for hood and fenders because mine had one on it when I bought it used. After some thought I decided not to do that either. Have the clear bra still in the factory packaging if your interested.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
The pictures look cool for sure. But unless you're really experienced in applying this type of material, I think your results may not be as expected.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Just on this topic of wrap vs clear wrap.

In terms of removing the wrap, how easy would it be and would it affect the paint or leave a stain?

I been thinking of experimenting with decor lining and wraps for exterior but worried that the adhesive product would ruin the pain or leave a mark.

Any idea?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,189 Posts
Just on this topic of wrap vs clear wrap.

In terms of removing the wrap, how easy would it be and would it affect the paint or leave a stain?

I been thinking of experimenting with decor lining and wraps for exterior but worried that the adhesive product would ruin the pain or leave a mark.

Any idea?
Mine had a 3M clear plastic bra on mirrors, fenders and hood. They had been on the car 9 years. Mirror came off easily. The other pieces had to be soaked in thinner and took about two hours of peeling off. Paint wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, wasn't aware that the actual wrap wasn't that protective on the original paint... Thanks for all the feedback everyone!! What did you guys end up thinking about that rim idea of mine? I feel like the E55 rims don't take away from the look of that early 2000 era but also are a step up from the SLK32 wheels. On the other hand, I don't know if they're different enough from the slk wheels to warrant a big price tag. Thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.