Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the group, but seems to be the place to be for questions and answers for all things SLK.

I have recently bought a 2009 SLK300 in the UK, but a couple of things have me confused which I am hoping you can advise me on;

1) It has a headlight washer button to the left of the main headlight dial, but it does nothing - the vehicle doesnt have xenons, and the bumper does not have any sign of pop-up washers. Is this normal?
2) On standard beam, the headlights are very low - cannot see an internal adjustment knob, so do they need to be re-aligned by a garage or am I missing something?

Hoping you guys can help me out :smile:

Many thanks

Mike

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
99,797 Posts
Mike

check your free datacard

check your manual also

Headlamp cleaning system
With the engine running the headlamps will
automatically be cleaned with a high-pressure
water jet when you have
Rswitched on the headlamps
and
Rthe windshield wipers have wiped the windshield
with washer fluid five times
When you switch off the headlamps, the counter
resets.

i have headlamp washers and that button you are referring to is a 'dummy' button

headlights can be adjusted

see search results

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=_z7DXfe5BszEsAXC9LigDA&q=site:slkworld.com+r171+adjust+headlights&oq=site:slkworld.com+r171+adjust+headlights&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1371.8320..8529...0.0..0.140.2606.40j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i362i308i154i357j0j0i131j0i10.mC6kb84Svqw&ved=0ahUKEwi3tYDAx9blAhVMIqwKHUI6DsQQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
29,633 Posts
I have the same button and it does indeed wash.

It may be a dummy if it was not fitted as an option (which your bumper comment suggests).

Request a datacard and you will see fitted options listed.

·
99,797 Posts
I have the same button and it does indeed wash.

It may be a dummy if it was not fitted as an option (which your bumper comment suggests).

Request a datacard and you will see fitted options listed.
Myk, we have facelifted 2009 models....you don't :D

I have the washer option on my 55 datacard but button is a dummy

see procedure above

·
99,797 Posts
Checked the datacard and appears have the washer button but no washers.
you don't need em
they over spray onto your hood :D

I never use mine for 11 years

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,530 Posts
Hi All,

New to the group, but seems to be the place to be for questions and answers for all things SLK.

I have recently bought a 2009 SLK300 in the UK, but a couple of things have me confused which I am hoping you can advise me on;

1) It has a headlight washer button to the left of the main headlight dial, but it does nothing - the vehicle doesnt have xenons, and the bumper does not have any sign of pop-up washers. Is this normal?
2) On standard beam, the headlights are very low - cannot see an internal adjustment knob, so do they need to be re-aligned by a garage or am I missing something?

Hoping you guys can help me out :smile:

Many thanks

Mike

1) No, this is not normal. If you do not have xenons there should be a selector wheel that controls an adujstment motor in the headlight assembly. So that you can control the headlight range depending on the load of the vehicle.
My guess is that the vehicle had a faulty rotary switch (switch and adjustment wheel are 1 assembly) and the PO swapped it for a used switch from a car with xenons. Hence the washer button. Could be the adjustment motor is in the position for heavy load, so they are pointing very low.
You need a headlight rotary switch like this:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
29,633 Posts
One thing that I can confirm.
The headlight wash does overspray.
Annoying when you just prep'd the car for a show.

Pete's made a good suggestion.
Another possible is that the bumper has been replaced with one without the wash kit.

Have a look behind the bumper, if you can, and see if the wash lines are hanging there.
You might not be able to see, though.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
582 Posts
The red one, a facelift, does not have xenons but does not have a light switch as per the photo. It just has the rotary light control with a push button beneath.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,530 Posts
The red one, a facelift, does not have xenons but does not have a light switch as per the photo. It just has the rotary light control with a push button beneath.

You are correct. My bad. Facelift version does not has the thumbwheel but a button with position 1 and 0 that probably switches between lights up and down depending on whether the car has extra load.
The image on the button shows 2 arrows up and down so not a washer button I guess.

Thanks for correcting me. It should look like this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts