Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. As a newbie to both the SLK and this site, I ask forgiveness if I'm asking a question previously posted on here but I can't find a direct correlation with existing posts.
I've just bought a 1999 SLK230 auto for my wife - full service history and immaculate. However, the power out of my Passat tdi seems greater than the SLK. I was expecting good acceleration and "on call" power but it's not there. Put foot down and speed builds but relatively slowly. Parked in neutral, a rev limited comes in at ~ 3000 rpm and at that point, the Kompressor is just starting to rotate. It revs much higher on the road but is disappointingly slow. Is this normal? and if not, what should I be looking for to correct?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
moved your thread to new member to save u a step

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,776 Posts
Welcome from Madrid ..

The r170 230k is really quite nippy , sounds like you may have some sort of trouble .
The ideal thing would be to test drive another to see the difference , other than that get it hooked up to a Star diagnosis machine to see if it has any faults ...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Maybe test drive another one to see if it is the same.... I have a 2004 slk 320 91,000 miles and when I step on the gas it moves...

jnc1948 NC USA

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
The rev limiter in neutral is normal; my '00 C230 Kompressor does it too. The 5-speed Touch Shift transmission does have some adaptive learning, so if you are aggressive with the throttle it will learn to kick down faster. It won't hold a gear very well when decelerating, though; the computer isn't that sophisticated. If you want to ensure holding a gear for a corner use the manual function to tap it to the gear of your choice. As others have noted, have it hooked up to Star to see what's going on. Superchargers have been known to fail, and when they do there's not only no boost but also the parasitic drag of the nonfunctional blower sapping performance. Being a supercharger, it is turned via belt from the crank so it does make boost right off idle, though it only blows about 5 psi...very conservative.

And welcome from Hillsboro, Oregon!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLK World from Southern England.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Howdy from Calgary Canada, welcome to the SLK world. As noted above the rev limits in neutral are 100 % normal. As for the performance issue, The suggestion of trying to find a like car to drive is good, if you can do that, or take it to a dealer or good indie shop and let them have a look/drive. Another test is a 0-100 acceleration run and see how your time compares to the 'book' value. If it is really is slow, your numbers will be perhaps off by a few seconds, or more. Now I suspect you will not achieve what the factory/magazine tests show, but you should come within a couple of seconds. You need a flat straight, and safe road. Also what altitude and temperature where you testing at? The higher and the hotter, means less performance, even with a S/C. I live/drive at 4000'-5000', granted my 350 is normally aspirated, I can be down as much as 70 HP on a hot summers day, due to the high density altitude, that puts me down at some 230HP, not 302. My Volvo V60 Polestar family wagon(350HP Turbo) will outrun my 350 by almost a second on a 0-100 KPH run in the summer on a hot day. I have had both on the track at the same time, and unfortunately the 350 driver gets a view of the Polestar's rear bumper above about 80 KPH. Good Luck, the 230 is a great road car, I am sure you grow to love it.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,423 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,205 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,314 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Washington, DC.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Am unsure of a fix .. I drive my R170 pretty gently but acceleration and performance on an auto 2.3 is pretty good. Esp if you are on a non motorway road,, you should notice it. If I were to refer to driving in tenths, I drive probably 4/tenths of cars capacity.. but if I were to boot it.. I know from experience.. that its a quick car. While an SLK may not be as blisteringly quick as you might think, it should be fairly rapid (in my limited 18 months experience) .. if you car does feel slow and takes a long time to pick up speed, I would think you def have an issue with it. Let us all know, if diagnostics find an issue! The supercharger means there should be useable torque near max output through most of the range. Test drive another one to get a comparison or take to a good reputable technician I guess. Anyway, welcome to the site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.