Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a thorough search of this forum and reading all relevent threads I noted that they are all pretty old and dated. Well for my 2001 SLK230 it's time for me to upgrade the sound system. I have followed some of the advice that I read in the "searched posts" I ended up looking at Crutchfield and found the Alpine CDE-HD149BT.

My SLK has the Bose sound system with the 6 disk CD changer in the back; truly a beautiful sound system. I would like to retain the factory amp and speakers. Also, like most I do not want to cut the factory wiring at all. Apparently Crutchfield supplies a plug and play wiring harness and also the tools to remove the factory DIN radio. I also realize that I will be disabling and removing the factory disk changer with the radio.

My goal with this upgrade is of course to move to BlueTooth and have hands free acess to my Android phone and it's music files. So I'm asking for your thoughts with this upgrade. I am willing to spend between $300 to $350 for this upgrade and I would like to do it myself. Is this good gear? Will I be able to retain the factory MB amp and speakers? How difficult of an upgrade is this install.\?

Thank you all for taking your time to weigh in on my questions here with your thoughts.

Regards,

Lisa

·
Registered
812 Posts
Did you read the recent posts by chance? This came up 3 days ago by subwiz.
My reply to that and a consequent one from subwiz is there.
As to keys to remove the radio don't buy them from any major outlet. They charge a fortune for them. You can get them for $1.80 on eBay no shipping.
IF you are in a real hurry get the lid off a margarine tub and cut two pieces about 5/16 in wide and 3-4 in long. Clip on end to about a 60 degree angle. Slip the pointed ends into the slots and push gently while trying to pull the radio out. You may need a plastic putty knife or similar no scratch tool to get it started.

These home made keys will release the latched but lack the notches to pull the radio. I guess you could cut them but when I made a set a few years ago I had no problem pulling the radio after releasing the latches.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is a recent thread regarding modifying the dash to fit a double-DIN modern unit. https://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/539528-double-din-mod-interior.html I've just done this with ease. I fitted a Pioneer AVICF970DAB unit. It's touch-screen, inbuilt Nav, full Iphone connection, mirroring, CD/DVD playback, rear camera connection .... It is SO up-to-date! I'm about to put some photo's up. Anyway, that should be the way you should go, IMHO.

David

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Or you could go the really simple route Lisa and fit a Pioneer SPH-10BT. It's more or less a straight swap. Pull the old one out, slide the new in. It also includes a mount for your phone and it's well under your budget.
I did think of going the double DIN Android solution with camera, but realised I'd never be able to see the screen properly with the roof down, which is more per less the only way I use the car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Or you could go the really simple route Lisa and fit a Pioneer SPH-10BT. It's more or less a straight swap. Pull the old one out, slide the new in. It also includes a mount for your phone and it's well under your budget.
I did think of going the double DIN Android solution with camera, but realised I'd never be able to see the screen properly with the roof down, which is more per less the only way I use the car.
That unit isn't even DAB. I suggest thinking ahead and fiting a modern unit.A lot has happened in the 20 years these cars have been on the road! Time to catch up, I think?

David

·
Registered
812 Posts
That unit isn't even DAB. I suggest thinking ahead and fiting a modern unit.A lot has happened in the 20 years these cars have been on the road! Time to catch up, I think?

David

I detected a desire on the part of the OP to retain OEM look in which case the Becker Restored with BT should work.

Not sure I would want to hack into the dash to put in a double DIN.

I am reasonably satisfied with my Garmin DriveSmart 60 LMT as a source for a back up camera. I just did the install and it works great. More to your point visibility is no problem with the roof down on the screen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's a good point David. But I don't use the radio much here in Finland and I don't think DAB is available in North America????

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not sure I would want to hack into the dash to put in a double DIN.

That sounds a bit dramatic? Two small screws at the top and two fastenings at the bottom. A few minutes work. No brutal hacking needed, I enjoyed doing this work and the end result is simply modern and pleasing. Each to their own, though. People are still buying L.P. records ...

David

·
Registered
812 Posts
That sounds a bit dramatic? Two small screws at the top and two fastenings at the bottom. A few minutes work. No brutal hacking needed, I enjoyed doing this work and the end result is simply modern and pleasing. Each to their own, though. People are still buying L.P. records ...

David

Yup! As you said. To each his own. I personally like to retain originality to the extent possible. I ordered the adapter suggested to see how that works.

·
Registered
812 Posts

David

I took a few minutes to look at images on Dr. Google. There is more than a few screws involved all though I do agree some look smart but others look ugly. It depends very much what one uses for a radio. One thing to consider. The radio is very low in the console so you have to take your eyes down a long way off the road to see the map.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hi,

This is not a Double DIN, many people look over my Car and few actually mentioned the Android, especially regarding that it is an aftermarket install, I picked the one with knobs and buttons as it is a bit more retro looking, but still full functionality via touch screen, and now steering wheel buttons >:D

Seeing the screen with roof down is not an issue as the steering wheel buttons control all you need to control whilst on the move ;)

Sound quality is great, can still hear the Music at 100mph with roof down, crystal clear at 80mph :grin:

OK, OK, not for the R170 purist and definitely not an install for the faint hearted :wink:

Centre console parts and Trim Panels are easily available from EBay, so I could still put it all back to standard if I wanted to, which of course I definitely don't >:D

My advice, no matter what H/U you choose is to get shot of any BOSE and then fit 4 new Component Speakers, 2 in Doors, 2 Behind Seats, plus the 4 tweeters that come with them, then go for a decent Active Sub.
My Car had a decent Pioneer in it when I got it, front door original speakers just weren't up to the job, and no rear speakers limited the quality and outright Volume possibilities.
First thing I did was Install the Rears, made a huge difference.

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some fabulous advice here but I too need to keep this kind of original. I went with the Alpine unit I mentioned when I started this thread. I bought it from Crutchfield and they are making the custom adapter harness. This is practically "plug & play" with the wiring already done and no cutting of the factory harness. I should receive it soon and then I can report back.

Now a questions for you guys that have had that center panel off. Down at the bottom is an ash tray/coin holder and the the right of that is a 2" X 4 " opening. Can that be just simply lifted out of there? If so how? This Alpine unit has a rear USB on a cable and I would like to mount it in that lower center opening. Any idea's?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.......

Lisa

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Please explain that statement because I'm a bit confused, here?

David
Hi,

"THIS" refers to the unit in my SLK which is shown in the photos, it is a factory fit shape for an early W203 C Class, chosen specifically for it's shape because with a bit of shaving around it's edges it fits into an internally modified R170 SLK Forward Centre Console unit. Looks like a stock MB System to someone who is not an R170 Buff ;)

Double Din is a specific size, (same width as single Din but 2x height and is narrower than my unit), it's designed to fit a "Double Din Aperture" and, well, IMHO most installs I've seen just look like "someone" has cut trim panels and "chucked in" a double din unit.

Previous owner of my car had fitted a very nice single din Pioneer to my car, but tbh, IMHO it just looked outta place, and again IMHO the Stock R170 Units are just old Tech, so I wanted something a little more subtle with all the bells and whistles such as Media Card, Navi, Rev Cam, BT, Hands Free, Steering Control Buttons, USB Remote Socket etc etc.

I chose my unit very carefully so it didn't look like that, it's face tapers down and follows the shape of the Console edges, height is spot on to make the cut on trim panel exactly at the bottom of the Heater Controls, and leave enough material on the switch panel to shape to the bottom of the unit.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi,

, it's designed to fit a "Double Din Aperture" and, well, IMHO most installs I've seen just look like "someone" has cut trim panels and "chucked in" a double din unit.

Cheers Dave
Thanks for that .... I understand, now. You were referring to the WIDTH and not the height (which IS double-DIN) The double-DIN mod on my SLk was achieved by purchasing another front dash section. I then cut and joined the two pieces to get the effect that I wanted. The final double-DIN opening was a seamless continuation of the single-DIN opening. So it couldn't look more "original" and professional! I'm VERY pleased with it. I've just GOT to show some pictures instead of just describing it!

David

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
LOL, I showed you mine now you show me yours >:D

About the Double DIN bit, I'm a bit confused here too, all references I made were to my Android H/U, my unit is both wider and taller than a double DIN, but that said, the metal casing would fit a double DIN hole, but the Face plate is much bigger, I'll see if I can find some pics of my H/U not in the Car before I modded it and installed it ......................

Here you go.....................

To get that to fit I stripped down the unit (after testing it first), then I cut off the metal "ears" with the bolt holes, and very carefully sanded off those plastic "sticky outee" bulges all around the black plastic, so then it fits the SLK Console, and none of that shows as it's inside the edges of the console :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes you have, show us what you've done >:D
O.K., well, here goes!
Photo (1) Modified front dash ready to accept the cage
Photo (2) These are the two front sections, pinned and ready for attachment
Photo (3) The complete front section
Photo (4) Modified lower plate
Photo (5) Ready for the Pioneer AVIC F960DAB unit
Photo's 6,7 and 8 Fitted