Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, very close to buying a 2005 AMG, but would like some advice first if you'd be so kind.

Car I looked at today was 2005, 61,000 miles, black, priced at £16,500.

The general mechanics seemed good, has a test drive too, but the car need a good valet to bring it up to a good internal condition. It has just had major service, including MOT, new front discs and pads and an oil change. There was some scuffs, dents and dings which would also need addressing. Had one owner from new, full dealer stamped service book.

Questions are: -

1. There was no command unit, but heard the software is dated, so a new alpine touch screen would be better anyway, has anyone already done this, cost?
2. the heater controls were the basic knobs, not the digital type, is there much difference between the two?
3. I love my music, and it didn't have the Harmon Kardon sound upgrade, is this a noticeable improvement?
4. The dash trim looked dated and very plasticky, are there any trim kit that can be installed to modernise it a little?
5. Are parking sensors standard? I forgot to check if it has them.

Is there anything else I need to check for?

It is a good price I think, but want other peoples opinions on the upgrades, and whether they would be a deal breaker or not.

Thanks for any help!!

By the way, the sound and performance on these cars are amaaaaaazing :tu::tu::tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,277 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,277 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK 55 AMG
592 Posts
Parking sensors in the SLK class didn't exist until MY12. And it's a piece of junk, imo.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
1. There was no command unit, but heard the software is dated, so a new alpine touch screen would be better anyway, has anyone already done this, cost?
No COMAND makes retrofitting aftermarket easier. Figure an extra 200 quid on top of the price of the headunit for trim, CAN integration, and harness bits.

2. the heater controls were the basic knobs, not the digital type, is there much difference between the two?
Minor functionality difference, and you'll not notice them most of the time. You can always retrofit the digital controls, which makes things look better, but doing a full retrofit with all the sensors and airbox is really cost prohibitive IMHO.

3. I love my music, and it didn't have the Harmon Kardon sound upgrade, is this a noticeable improvement?
Yes, it's noticeably better. I've posted a couple of long ones on this. Since you don't have HK, you can retrofit Hertz or Focal speakers and end up with something that sounds as good if not better than HK.

4. The dash trim looked dated and very plasticky, are there any trim kit that can be installed to modernise it a little?
See Jeff's post above. You can also get real CF parts, but they are pretty pricey.

No, they were an option. You can see Jon's post about retrofitting aftermarket, trying to retrofit OEM is an expensive and time consuming task.

By the way, the sound and performance on these cars are amaaaaaazing :tu::tu::tu:

Gotta agree there!

Is there anything else I need to check for?
Yes - at 61k and 7 years, check to see that the transmission service and spark plug change have been done - both are pricey if not.

No AirScarf would be a deal breaker for me. If you have heated seats, check to see that the seat bases' actually heat up - it's a common point of failure on the R171, and hideously expensive to fix if you use MB parts.

Parking sensors in the SLK class didn't exist until MY12. And it's a piece of junk, imo.
Didn't exist in the US market. ROW has had them since 2004. I personally find them useful, but parking in the UK is a bit more challenging than in the US.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I forgot to mention, there is a low whirring noise coming from the engine bay, the dealer said its the fuel pump and that its a normal noise on the AMG, is that true? It was very noticeable on tickover...

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I forgot to mention, there is a low whirring noise coming from the engine bay, the dealer said its the fuel pump and that its a normal noise on the AMG, is that true? It was very noticeable on tickover...

Hmmm, the AMG's have a forced air cycle that's really noticeable on cold start - there's a secondary air pump that kicks in to rapidly heat the cat's up.

If you hear the noise all the time, chances are it's a worn bearing on the idler pulley - a know issue on the M113's.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK 55 AMG
592 Posts
Well, the A/C fan makes one hell of a noise when it's running. It sounds like a turbine in a jet engine!! No kidding..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.