Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic, so I'll post it outright: Has anyone tried to add an OEM SLK cruise control to a '99 manual SLK that did not come with one? I noticed in the driver's manual it said only automatics had cruise control. Is there something about the manuals that make it incompatible? Or was M-B just slow to make cruise control available on the SLK? Is there anything wrong with installing an OEM cruise control from an automatic on a manual model?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Rick:confused:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,203 Posts
Moving your post to the r170 general discussion section

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wouldn't be happy installing it, for a few reasons :

1 It may prove to be difficult or impossible to make the ECU play ball. It may not have the programming for CC and it may not be possible to install the software updates - and you may not find that out until all the other work has been completed.

2 CC must be able to be switched off by a touch on either the clutch or brake pedals. I'd be wary of retro-fitting a switch to the clutch pedal to work this function correctly, as an error here may mean that it could fail to switch off - which could be a little bit scary as you're approaching stopped traffic at speed.

3 I'm guessing the normal brake light switch is wired in to switch off the CC when the brake pedal is touched. You'd need to be certain that all its wiring was correct as it may be more simply wired on a non-CC vehicle.

It just feels like more work than would be fun - for me. You, of course, may relish such challenges. I'm just a bit too lazy to try something quite so ambitious.

If you do give it a try, please do create a thread about it here. It'll be incredibly interesting to follow your progress.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks. AJBerrow, your observations make a lot of sense. I am not a mechanic or one of those folks who can navigate uncharted mechanical courses, so I will not be attempting this. I'm the kind of person who can replace a bad part or even jerry rig a solution, but that's about it. I was hoping there was a simple proven path, but clearly there is not; if there were, someone on this amazing group would have already been there. Thanks much for sparing me from wasted time and effort, much less needlessly tearing up my SLK for no good reason.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,524 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230/1999 SLK230
15 Posts
I have a '99 manual trans (as well as a '98 auto) and I do have the ability to add cruise if I can find a donor somewhere. I think later 170 manual cars were offered with cruise and that may be a bit of a unicorn to find at the local LKQ. Failing that it looks pretty easy to add aftermarket. As soon as I finish the XJ-S V12 convert project (rear calipers), repair leaking top cylinders in both SLK's and I will migrate to those type fun challenges and keep all posted.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,995 Posts
I have a '99 manual trans (as well as a '98 auto) and I do have the ability to add cruise if I can find a donor somewhere. I think later 170 manual cars were offered with cruise and that may be a bit of a unicorn to find at the local LKQ. Failing that it looks pretty easy to add aftermarket. As soon as I finish the XJ-S V12 convert project (rear calipers), repair leaking top cylinders in both SLK's and I will migrate to those type fun challenges and keep all posted.
Just so that you are aware. https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/233026-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html

Several years old.

I suggest that when you do the work, if you are kind enough to document, start a new thread
& we can add it to the diys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.