Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very strange thing has happened to me in the past few months.
For the past 6 1/2 years my daily driver has been a Subaru Impreza WRX 2007 ‘Hawkeye’ model. During this time I have been slowly evolving it (and spent a fair amount) to make it personal to me from custom interior trim to rare JDM body parts, wheels, brakes etc and slowly upping the power.
I always said I would never sell it and every time I looked around to see if there was anything I would ever replace it with, I found nothing that took my fancy. Even my wife liked it that much that she bought her own very rare 1994 JDM import version 1 WRX with an auto box which she too has spent a small fortune on.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, my wife decided this spring that she fancied a convertible for the summer (3rd car) and wanted a Porsche Boxter. Well, there was no way that I could have a car that is almost impossible to work on myself so we looked around and decided to try an SLK.
Me being a man had the mindset of ‘must have big V8’ but as it was going to be a summer car for us to share we went for a 350.
Now the strange part. I found that every time I was behind the wheel I was loving it more and more to a point where the impreza was sitting there not being used. A knee injury then meant I couldn’t use the clutch very well without it swelling so I have just done something I thought I would never do, I have sold it.
My wife has agreed that the SLK can now be my daily driver and I am still finding that every time I drive it I love it more and more, roof down or up, it just brings a smile to my face.
So, can anyone explain what is about these cars that is so addictive?

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
It's gorgeous and good for the soul. You can have the cake and eat it too with the SLK. It’s a brilliant roadster convertible in the summer and a well-isolated coupe in the winter. I love my SLK R172 so much, love the nose :)

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
121 Posts
A very strange thing has happened to me in the past few months.
For the past 6 1/2 years my daily driver has been a Subaru Impreza WRX 2007 ‘Hawkeye’ model. During this time I have been slowly evolving it (and spent a fair amount) to make it personal to me from custom interior trim to rare JDM body parts, wheels, brakes etc and slowly upping the power.
I always said I would never sell it and every time I looked around to see if there was anything I would ever replace it with, I found nothing that took my fancy. Even my wife liked it that much that she bought her own very rare 1994 JDM import version 1 WRX with an auto box which she too has spent a small fortune on.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, my wife decided this spring that she fancied a convertible for the summer (3rd car) and wanted a Porsche Boxter. Well, there was no way that I could have a car that is almost impossible to work on myself so we looked around and decided to try an SLK.
Me being a man had the mindset of ‘must have big V8’ but as it was going to be a summer car for us to share we went for a 350.
Now the strange part. I found that every time I was behind the wheel I was loving it more and more to a point where the impreza was sitting there not being used. A knee injury then meant I couldn’t use the clutch very well without it swelling so I have just done something I thought I would never do, I have sold it.
My wife has agreed that the SLK can now be my daily driver and I am still finding that every time I drive it I love it more and more, roof down or up, it just brings a smile to my face.
So, can anyone explain what is about these cars that is so addictive?
Almost an identical story to myself. I too owned a 2005 widetrack Impreza STi for 9 years with all the mods you could think of. Sold it one day last year in a fit of boredom and within a few weeks had acquired my '05 350. Like you it makes me smile every time I drive it, but I can't really say what it is about the car that makes it so addictive. I even catch myself grinning inanely at it when it's in the garage! I keep being asked by friends if I miss the other car but I have no regrets about selling the scoob. Don't question it, just enjoy it.

Attachments

·
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow @StirCrazy, I didn’t think I was going to find someone here with exactly the same story.
Very nice ‘blobeye’ by the way.
I’m being told on a daily basis that I will regret my decision but like you I find myself grinning even when I look at it on the driveway and for once in my life I’m not thinking about what I should modify but when I can next drive it instead. Heck, I’m even offering to go to the shops if we run low on anything instead of waiting for the weekly shop.
I suppose I have the advantage of my wife keeping her ‘scooby’ so if I ever miss the experience I can always take hers for a spin.
Speaking of modifying, I may just do a couple of minor things like possibly a rear spoiler and possibly change the wheels but on the whole I’m am smitten.
I’m glad it’s not just me in this situation as I was beginning to think that I’d bought the Mercedes equivalent of ‘christine’ ?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I have never owned a Subaru, but there is something about the whole SLK experience that does make it a feel good car.

For me the standout part of it is positioning. You sit close to the back wheels so feel the road through the seat making it very easy to judge rear grip when pressing on, and the long nose adds to the experience.

I also was looking at boxster but my choice was swayed by the price difference - you get a much newer SLK for your money - and running costs.

Have you started evolving yours yet? I can fully recommend a Fox exhaust system...

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

·
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that is true I can feel what the rear is doing More than the impreza, hence I tend to drive smoother and not throw the car around so much on a spirited drive. I have owned 2 seaters before (MR2s, X19, Z3 etc) but none have given me the same enjoyment. I didn’t even have as much enjoyment when I used to road rally a pair of Opel Mantas.
The only mods I have done so far is replacing the head unit and installing some g paddles. I like the exhaust tone as it is (quiet until I give it some then a nice roar) but a little louder never hurts. It’s just finding the balance so it stays quiet when I want it to be and have a bit more ‘tone’ when having fun.
I am thinking of a couple of small visual enhancements but I don’t want it to look like an AMG because it’s not an AMG. All I need to do first is get it fully serviced and Check for any balance shaft issues and if it’s in the clear then watch this space. ?.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,768 Posts
SLKs have been used with moderate success in the treatment of SLK syndrome. However, these approaches usually offer only temporary mitigation of symptoms, and more definitive treatments are often required. Which requires you drive it on very twisty roads daily!

·
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which is why I changed my route to work.
I am very lucky and have 3 options: motorway, A roads or country lanes (which are in very good condition with lots of twisty bits and as I work shifts there is usually little to no traffic on them........guess which I route use on a daily basis now? ?

·
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I certainly hope to make it to the meet.
Cars (SLKs especially), planes and good company, what more can I ask for? ?

·
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Iain, you’re there already!
TonyS
I wish I was there right now instead of nursing a bad back. :|
I can still drive and I’m ok when sitting so even if I’m not better I will be there, I need the break from daytime tv and pain killers :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts