Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had a hire car delivered today, a C220 Bluetec. Checking it over (you know what these hire company's are like) she noticed two fuel inputs, your regular diesel nozzle and an AdBlue, with a natty blue cap.

What's that then?, she said. Hmm, time for a google...

Turns out it's an additive to keep diesel exhaust emissions down. OK, but read on...

One litre of AdBlue is sufficient for 625 miles of driving, and there's enough of the stuff on board to see you from one service to the next. WHAT!? How much weight is this adding, and costing in increased fuel consumption?

Also, if there's less than three litres on board the car will cheerily warn you that you only have limited mileage left and then won't start! So you can be left with a shiny MB that's the world's biggest paperweight.

Helpfully MB will top up your AdBlue completely free of charge, once you've bought the AdBlue. EH? Oh, they'll put it in the tank and not charge for the privilege. Gee, thanks.

Lastly, AdBlue is only available from MB retailers. Oh great, this gets better the more I read.

One small glimmer though, if you run out and have roadside assistance you get four litres for free, if it's available. Otherwise you get towed.

Somehow, this strikes me as ill-though-out and a recipe for disaster.

Mercedes-Benz UK - Mercedes-Benz GenuineParts - You and AdBlue®

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I can buy DEF at local auto parts stores here…just got some for my Audi cause I didn't want to go to dealer…..

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Peugeot have been doing something simular for years now .
And BMW have got them in there new deisel cars also .

Just more problems and expense you have to consider when buying new and most importantly second hand.

It just bumps up the cost of running your car .

So glad i got petrol no additives apart from what they add in the pumps :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just more problems and expense you have to consider when buying new and most importantly second hand.

It just bumps up the cost of running your car .

So glad i got petrol no additives apart from what they add in the pumps :wink:
The end of the diesel in cars is getting closer and closer

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Mind you diesel pump prices are dropping to and below petrol
Lately ??

Whats going on there then ?

And have i heard right audi making there on fuel for there cars ?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Mind you diesel pump prices are dropping to and below petrol
Lately ??

Whats going on there then ?

And have i heard right audi making there on fuel for there cars ?
Diesel competes with heating oil in terms of what comes out of a barrel of oil through standard distillation. There is some overlap with Jet fuel too, but that is a slightly lighter cut. In summer (even this one) sales of heating oil goes down so there is over supply of the middle distillate material. Hence lower price.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Diesel competes with heating oil in terms of what comes out of a barrel of oil through standard distillation. There is some overlap with Jet fuel too, but that is a slightly lighter cut. In summer (even this one) sales of heating oil goes down so there is over supply of the middle distillate material. Hence lower price.
But has not diesel been always higher than petrol apart from when it first come out .?
And we have had many hotter summers than this lately and its never budged in fact gone higher . :grin:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
To be honest I think diesel should be more expensive than petrol (gasoline). It has greater density, so you're getting more carbon per litre.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Took the wife's VW in for service and was looking at the new models while they were doing the service. I see the new VW diesels now have a fill cap for AdBlue also. Sells person say it should last between services 10k. She has a 2013 diesel and does not have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts