Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my SLC Diesel I was pretty sure it had start-stop and was Euro 6 compliant on emissions. None of the dealers seemed to know if it had AdBlu exhaust treatment though but eventually managed to find out from MB that it did have it but no one could tell me where the AdBlu filler cap was! So it was only when the car was delivered that I discovered the AdBlu tank is occupying that handy storage area in the base of the boot! See pic.

Here’s a questions for the anoraks out there. When was start-stop and AdBlu introduced. Was it just on the SLCs in 2016 or was it present in the SLK as well.

Attachments

·
Registered 2013 SLK250 CDI
103 Posts
the AdBlu tank is occupying that handy storage area in the base of the boot! See pic.

Here’s a questions for the anoraks out there. When was start-stop and AdBlu introduced. Was it just on the SLCs in 2016 or was it present in the SLK as well.
My 2013 has stop/start. I have a spare wheel in the 'handy storage compartment' and I think that I would rather have a spare than save the environment. Of course if the Adblu tank was round...........................

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,437 Posts
Adblu??

Not being a diesel owner, what the heck are you talking about? Well, I discovered it's another product that you have to use with diesel engines. It reduces the amount of nitrous oxides in the exhaust.

I found some interesting info you may (or may not) know about it's usage:

How often does AdBlue® need to be used?

The vehicle will not operate unless there is sufficient AdBlue® in the vehicle’s AdBlue® tank. The size of the AdBlue® tank has been designed so that a customer should not have to refill AdBlue® in between service intervals, however an individual vehicle’s AdBlue® consumption may be higher depending on operating conditions.
On average, 1 litre of AdBlue® should last around 1,000km, however usage can be higher depending on how the vehicle is driven and the conditions that the vehicle is subjected to.

• Every A Service AdBlue® tank is refilled / topped up
• Every B Service AdBlue® tank is drained and refilled

If the amount of AdBlue® in the vehicle reaches the minimal level before an A or B Service, a message will appear on the instrument cluster.

Can I use AdBlue® from a bottle that has previously been opened?

No. You should use all of the Mercedes-Benz Genuine AdBlue product in the bottle at the one time and then put the empty bottle in the recycling bin. Once opened and exposed to air, AdBlue® bottles with leftover AdBlue® fluid cannot be stored as the purity of the fluid will be compromised.

Does AdBlue® have a lifespan?

Yes. Due to the limited durability of AdBlue®, AdBlue® has a 2 year lifespan from date of production. It is essential that AdBlue® is stored between minus 5 degrees and 20 degrees Celsius. AdBlue® can decompose if it is stored at 30 degrees or more for extended periods of time - ammonia can form in such instances.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Len for the info. I was aware of that, in fact AdBlu has been used in Lorries and Trucks for around 20 years as a diesel exhaust treatment, its only since the introduction of Euro 6 regulations over here in Europe that its now in cars.
This is my first car with no spare wheel so I will have to rely on the 'squirty goo' injector box provided which doesn't fill me with confidence, has anyone used this I wonder and was the tyre recoverable afterwards.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It came with 250d, when name of the model changed from 250CDI. No spare wheel and no extra space ... I read some stories that it's difficult to top up due to location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts