Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody want to take over the challenge?

Inspired by our member Spiros (spi89) who has done this mod:

View image: image

As I could get the diffuser from MB for £60, and have plenty of time on my hands, I thought let's have a go.

So in order to present it to my bumper for fitting, I did the first stage and took off the fastening clips.

Spiros did say the left and right edges also need careful trimming to fit.

It needs about 5 cm or more off each sides which means you lose the lip.

So.......after careful consideration I decided "na", my skills do not match my requirement for a perfect looking job :laugh: Clearly it can be done as it looks great on Spiros' car, but I am going down the Piecha route :wink:

Therefore, if anybody would like to take up the challenge and have a go on their car they are welcome to take over and have the diffuser for the cost of postage. I guess it may cost a tenner due to its size. Just let me know :tu:

Attachments

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Bizarre!!

I was talking with Russ (@55rusamg) about this only a coouple of days ago when he popped over ...

I'll take over the project - drop me a pm and we'll sort out the details!!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bizarre!!

I was talking with Russ (@55rusamg) about this only a coouple of days ago when he popped over ...

I'll take over the project - drop me a pm and we'll sort out the details!!
Sorry Sean RichH has beaten you to it :surprise::smile:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Presumably that thing obscures the AMG logos on the tail pipes? Ouch! ;)
It does look that close in the picture, that's a big price :laugh:

RichH (Richard) is going to have a look at it a bit later in the year after a few other upgrades first.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
55 Posts
Good luck to those who are ready to try it! I will search for my old melted r172 diffuser in order to give you a better explanation! You have to see the changes. It does not need the clips to be cutted but you have to reduce some milimeters the edge around. Moreover, it doesnt need to cut off 5cm from each side. I think i have kept the removed pieces. I will show them too. Tailpipes will not have the same look when engine is off. After the engine start, tailpipes come out! Because of my turbo project, i have a completely aftermarket exhaust so i had the opportunity to adjust it.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
55 Posts
Here i have some photos for you:
At the first photo you can see the tiny lip from inside that will mount on the bumper with glue.

Here i have some measurements: One in the middle of the angle

The other measured horizonally.

Dont forget to tighten it up at the bottom.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
55 Posts
Forgive me! Something very important!! The rear silencers need to be lowered a bit! Sorry for my omission. My exhaust and diffuser were both placed at the same time, so my custom rear silencers manufactured according to the new setup with the new diffuser. I had put the AMGs in the past and we try them before i sell them. They need to be lowered. I apologize for something so important!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All

How do we get hold of the R172 diffuser are they for sale anywhere.

Cheers

Andy
Andy, I bought it from Inchape Mercedes it was about £60 delivered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.