Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2000 slk230 today and about 50' from pulling away from a stop sign, the acceleration just fell flat. The engine remained smooth but very slow acceleration even at full throttle. Engine idles fine and smooth as well. No CEL or code. I disconnected the plug on the TPS and cleaned it with electric contact cleaner, still no joy. Before I order a TPS, is there away to test these? Mine is under the hood, not at the pedal.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jon D.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,371 Posts
Bump to the top! New thread made :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
You didn't have the Speedtronic speed limiter set, did you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: issue solved

I figured before I write a check for a new TPS I would check some things. I was bothered that I didn't get a code. I checked my dash light and confirmed the CEL bulb was good. I figured I would unplug the MAF just to make sure I could get a code of some kind. Sure enough, the CEL came on. The interesting thing was when I plugged the MAF back in, the engine accelerated more strongly though not as smoothly as before. It would backfire and stumble but definitely revved quicker. I pulled the MAF apart but it looked pretty clean since I clean it every year. I grabbed my can of MAF cleaner and sprayed it down. I put it back together after it dried and everything is back to normal.

I've experienced rough running from a dirty MAF in the past and gotten misfire codes etc, but this time there was no code and the car felt like it had gone into limp mode. I just thought I would post this outcome if someone else has the same experience. I also failed to mention this is a manual transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.